This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Dr Pepper. All opinions are my own. #OneOfAKindFan
Dr Pepper has a one of a kind taste that I just love. What I love even more than drinking Dr Pepper is cooking or baking with it! Today I’m sharing my recipe for Dr Pepper Hot Wings that are oven roasted, and not fried!
Dr Pepper, hot wings, and college football always go together at my house. It’s a tradition of ours to watch college football and eat different hot wings recipes while we root for our favorite teams.
I’ve always loved sweet and spicy flavor combinations. It just seemed natural to turn Dr Pepper into a sauce for our favorite game day eats! This Dr Pepper Hot Wings recipe is made in the oven, and not the deep fryer. You really can’t tell the difference because this recipe comes out nice and crispy!
To make this recipe, I shopped at Target for all of my ingredients. I easily found my 12-pack of 12-ounce cans of Dr Pepper on the soda aisle. Check your Cartwheel app before shopping, because right now they have a fantastic offer on Dr Pepper. From Nov. 1 – Dec. 12, use Cartwheel to receive 5% off of 12-packs and 2-liters of Dr Pepper or 10% off of 6 or 8-packs of bottles and cans.
How to make Dr Pepper Hot Wings:
- Pat the wings dry and place them in a gallon-sized plastic bag. Add the baking powder and salt. Seal the bag and shake.
- Place the wings on a wire rack set over a baking sheet and pop them in the oven.
- While the wings bake, make the sauce by adding all of the ingredients to a saucepan. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to a low boil and continue to cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove the wings from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the wings to a large bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the top and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately!
- 2 ½ pounds frozen chicken wings, thawed
- 1 ½ Tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For the Sauce:
- 1 (12 oz) can Dr Pepper (1 ½ cups)
- ⅓ cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Move the oven racks to the upper middle and lower middle positions. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil, and place a wire rack on top. Spray the wire rack lightly with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Pat the chicken wings dry and place in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Add baking powder and salt. Seal the bag shut and shake until each wing is coated with baking powder. Remove chicken from bag and place it, skin-side up, on top of the rack on your prepared baking sheet. Place baking sheet on lower-middle rack and bake for 30 minutes. Move wings to upper-middle rack and increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Bake an additional 40-50 minutes, or until wings are crispy and golden-brown. Remove wings from oven and cool 5 minutes.
- WHILE WINGS ARE IN OVEN: Make the sauce by adding Dr Pepper, Buffalo wing sauce, and brown sugar to a medium sauce pan. Heat over high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes, whisking every minute or so. Reduce heat until mixture reaches a low boil. Continue to cook for 15-20 minutes (stirring occasionally) until the mixture reduces by half. Add butter and whisk until melted. Add cornstarch and continue to boil until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat and let sauce sit for 5 minutes.
- TO FINISH: Add the wings to a large bowl. Pour sauce over, toss until well coated, and serve immediately!
Now for the GIVEAWAY!
From Nov. 2 – Dec. 13, those who upload an Instagram photo showing how they are a #OneOfAKindFan of Dr Pepper will be entered for a chance to win a $100 Target GiftCard™. A winner will be awarded each week. Must be 18 or older to enter.
Good Luck! #CollectiveBias