This homemade hot chocolate mix makes a rich, indulgent, chocolaty treat. It is SO easy to make, let me show you how to make it along with 4 flavor variations!
Flavored Hot Chocolate Mixes
This recipe is a fabulous base for flavored hot chocolate mixes. To make different flavored hot chocolate mixes follow the base recipe and add in the additional ingredients below just before processing.
- ORANGE: add 1 Tablespoon orange zest.
- MINT: omit the vanilla and use 1 teaspoon of mint extract instead.
- MALTED: omit the nonfat dry milk powder and use 1/2 cup of malted milk powder instead.
- MEXICAN: add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 3/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder.
Cook’s Note – Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Use the best quality chocolate that you can afford. High-quality chocolate enhances the quality and intensity of the hot chocolate.
- I used all Ghirardelli chocolate products for this homemade hot chocolate mix.
- This hot chocolate mix will keep, in an air-tight container at room temperature, for up to 2 months.
- This recipe will make 3 cups of mix; enough for 12 1-cup servings.
- While this recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc it may not all fit in your food processor. I recommend processing one batch at a time. After all it only take a minute to make each batch!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Process until the mixture is ground to powder, about 30-60 seconds. Transfer mix to and airtight container.
Source: recipe from my favorite cooking periodical, Cook’s Illustrated.
Disclosure: This post for Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.