Happy New Year from Japan! My family and I finally made it to The Land of the Rising Sun where my husband will be stationed for the next 3 years. While we’re busy getting ourselves organized and acclimated to the area, we’re also starting the New Year with a few new family routines. My favorite so far has been daily family breakfast. Every evening we sit down and eat dinner together, and this year we hope to sit down and eat at least 5 breakfasts a week together. Nothing fancy, just good, delicious, bettert-for-you foods like Great Grains® cereal, smoothies, muffins, and this Crunchy Date Nut Bread!
This Crunchy Date Nut Bread has a hefty dose of Post® Great Grains® raisins, dates, and pecans cereal in it. Is also used to make the bread’s crunchy topping! Great Grains® is a great and way to start everyone’s morning off right. It’s packed with granola clusters, real fruit, nuts, and crunchy whole grain flakes. It’s also an excellent source of fiber, and it has up to 12 essential vitamins and minerals!
Cook’s Note – Crunchy Date Nut Bread
- This Date Nut Bread will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
- 2 (8-ounce) packages chopped dates
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups Great Grains® Raisin, Dates & Pecan cereal, divided
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Spray two 8½-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In medium bowl mix together dates, boiling water, sugar, butter, and baking soda. Cool mixture until warm, about 20-25 minutes.
- In large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour date mixture over flour, and whisk until combined. Whisk in egg, vanilla, 2 cups of Great Grains® Raisin, Dates & Pecan cereal, and pecans.
- Divide batter among prepared pans and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup Great Grains® Raisin, Dates & Pecan cereal. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out with just a few dry crumbs attaches. Move bread pans to wire rack and cool 20 minutes, then turn bread out on wire rack to cool until warm, about 1- hours. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.