This Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is not only delicious but super quick & easy to make, too! Whether you’re hosting Thanksgiving or need a side dish to bring, this recipe will be a great addition to any Thanksgiving dinner!
Disclosure: This post for Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
I’m so excited that Thanksgiving is right around the corner! Are you ready? I’m getting there. 🙂
Today I’m sharing a recipe for a fabulous side dish, my Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole!
How TO MAKE Cheesy BROCCOLI CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME:
- Time is at a premium when you’re prepping for your Thanksgiving feast. Save time by prepping this recipe the night before. Make the recipe up to baking except DO NOT add the cracker crumbs! Store the cracker crumbs separately, and keep the casserole covered in the refrigerator overnight. Bring the casserole to room temperature before topping with cracker crumbs and baking.
COOK’S NOTE -Cheesy BROCCOLI CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE:
- You can use either yellow or white extra-sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe, I used white.
- Please shred your own cheese, because the pre-shredded variety has starches and other agents added to it to prevent clumping. These additives aren’t the best when you’re making a cheese sauce!
- Use a high-quality cheddar for best results. I personally love Kerrygold and Tillamook.
Cook’s Tools – Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole:
Are you hosting Thanksgiving? Then check out these 2 posts:
- 1 sleeve of Saltine or RITZ Crackers, crushed
- 8 ounces (2 cups) of freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cauliflower florets, thawed
- 2 teaspoons dried ground mustard
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl add the crushed crackers, 4 tablespoons of melted butter, ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, over medium heat add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, garlic, and flour. Stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the cream and broth. Stir in broccoli, cauliflower, dry mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, until broccoli and cauliflower are nearly tender, 5-8 minutes. Remove pot from heat and stir in remaining cheese until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13-inch, or any other 3-quart baking dish and top with cracker crumbs. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until crumbs are golden brown and crisp. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 8-12 as a side dish.
I recently updated this Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole recipe, but here are some of the original photos: