This Carrot Puree with Ginger recipe is a healthy and tasty side dish for Easter and Spring Entertaining. You can make this carrot puree up to 3 days in advance!
When I’m entertaining during the spring I like to make seasonal side dishes like my Creamed Pearl Onions, Potato Salad Bake, and this Carrot Puree with Ginger recipe. When I use in-season produce with bright, fresh flavors it tastes like spring has arrived! I love the snap the fresh ginger gives to the recipe, and the cinnamon adds a layer of comfort to this healthy carrot puree!
Cook’s Note – Carrot Puree with Ginger
- You can make the Carrot Puree up to 3 days in advance. Just cover and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Reheat in the microwave and top with fresh chives.
- When cooking the carrots the milk might break from the high temperature. This is completely fine, the mixture will smooth out when it is blended.
- Ground ginger can be substituted for fresh ginger. You will need ½ teaspoon of ground ginger for this recipe.
- This recipe doubles nicely. You will just have to use a bigger pot, and you may need to blend the carrots in 2 separate batches in the blender.
- No need to peel the carrots for this recipe. Just trim the ends and give them a good wash.
Cook’s Tools – Carrot Puree with Ginger
- 2 pounds carrots, washed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- In medium saucepan over medium heat bring carrots, milk, sugar, ginger, salt, and cinnamon to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for 25 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Ladle out ½ cup of cooking liquid and reserve. Transfer mixture to a blender (or use an immersion blender). Add butter and blend until smooth, scraping down sides of blender as needed. If mixture is a little think, add reserved cooking liquid, 1-2 Tablespoons at a time, and blend until desired consistency is reached. Transfer to serving bowl, top with chives (optional), and serve.