Sweet Corn Cake is the best Mexican side dish, because it’s simple to make, perfectly sweet, moist, and it boasts some pretty fantastic fresh corn flavor!
Disclosure: This Mexican Sweet Corn Cake recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
When I eat out at a Mexican restaurant, for me the sides are just as important as the main dish. Mexican food is so flavorful that I get really annoyed when I’m served lackluster rice and beans. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with Mexican rice and refried beans, just it can be more of an afterthought.
Oh, the sweet corn cake.
While all are completely amazing, there’s just something about Mexican Sweet Corn Cake that makes me utterly happy and truly indicates a solid meal.
Recently, I made this corn cake to go along with my goat cheese and poblano quesadillas.
Sweet corn cake and goat cheese and poblano quesadillas are a perfectly matched duo, and I highly recommend them served together!
A FEW WORDS ABOUT MASA:
- You can find masa harina right by the cornmeal at the grocery store, or you can order it online.
- STORAGE TIP: I don’t know about you, but I do not go through my bag of masa very quickly. So, to ensure that I have masa whenever I need it, I store mine in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Stored like this, the masa will keep for 6+months in the freezer or 2-3 months in the refrigerator.
- Besides this Mexican Sweet Corn Cake, my other favorite use for Masa is for these Copycat Cheesecake Factory Sweet Tamale Cakes—SO good!
Cook’s Tools & Ingredients – Mexican Sweet Corn Cake:
This fresh corn cakes recipe is SO easy to make, let me show you how in my recipe video below!
How to Make Mexican Sweet Corn Cake:
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup masa harina
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen corn kernels, thawed)
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream or half and half
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare water bath by filling 9-13-inch metal baking pan a third of the way full with water, and set aside.
- Lightly grease 8x8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In large bowl use handheld mixer on medium speed to beat butter until creamy and lightened in color, about 1-2 minutes. Add masa harina and water and beat on low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
- Using food processor or blender, chop corn by pulsing 3-5 times. Corn should be chopped but still chunky. Stir corn into butter mixture until combined, and set aside.
- In medium bowl combine cornmeal, sugar, cream, salt, and baking powder. Add to butter and corn mixture and stir with wooden spoon until cohesive batter forms. Pour into prepared 8×8-inch baking pan, smooth into even layer, and cover with aluminum foil. Place pan into water bath.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until completely set, rotating pan once while baking.
- Move to wire rack and cool for 15 minutes. Use small ice cream or cookie scoop to scoop sweet corn cake mounds onto plates for serving.