Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Bel Laughing Cow via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Bel Laughing Cow.
The 2 keys to mindful snacking are:
- Be prepared for your trip to the grocery store
- Be aware
Plan ahead so there are no pitfalls, and be aware of potential traps like caving when a sudden craving pops up. Over the next few weeks I’m going to be bringing you more mindful snacking tips, snack pairing ideas, and even one of my favorite snack recipes using The Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges. My 7 Tips to Thoughtfully Reinvent Snacking will help get you started on the path to mindful snacking.
7 Tips to Thoughtfully Reinvent Snacking
- 1. Plan your snacks. We’ve all heard of meal planning, but what about snack planning? Snacks happen. My favorite trick for mindful snacking is to plan for those random bursts of hunger. That way you won’t be snacking out of desperation and potentially making poor choices; you’ll be snacking the way you intended.
- 2. Never shop hungry, ever. When you do, you’re more likely to buy more than you intended and make short-sighted purchases.
- 3. Shop alone. When possible, leave the kiddos at home. I like to do my shopping in the evenings so I can go alone. I’m in & out of the store a lot quicker, plus there won’t be anyone (else!) asking for an item that’s not on the list.
- 4. Stick. To. The. List. Make a list before you shop that is derived from your snack and meal planning. Your purse strings and waistline will thank you. If it’s not on the list, it’s not in the cart. Also, leave one space on your list to…
- 5. Try one new thing. New products pop up daily at the grocery stores. To make sure you don’t feel like you’re missing out, leave room on your list for one new “impulse” snack. The impulse item, however, must satisfy two criteria: it must nourish the body and nourish the senses. The snack needs to be healthy, it’s got to taste good, and it has to satisfy a potential craving.
- 6. It’s a balancing act. Cravings are usually due to a lack of some nutrient. Just like your meals, make sure your snacks are well-balanced, and plan for them to come from all the main food groups. To optimize balanced snacking, I like to pair different foods together. For a quick treat, smear The Laughing Cow cheese on slices of apple, pear, or celery, then topped off with a sprinkling of sunflower seeds or chopped nuts. The more food groups your snack has, the better.
- 7. Don’t go there, girlfriend. Avoid temptation by not going down the cookie, chip, ice cream, etc. aisles. You just don’t need to go there! Instead, I like to get different healthy products from manufacturers that I trust, like Laughing Cow Cheese.
With 8 varieties of spreadable cheese wedges, The Laughing Cow makes for endless balanced snack pairings and combinations. Stay tuned for my recipe using one of these savory flavors: Creamy Original Swiss; Creamy Lite Swiss; Creamy Swiss Garlic & Herb; Creamy Queso Fresco Chipotle; Creamy White Cheddar Flavor; Creamy Mozzarella, Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil; Creamy Swiss French Onion; and New! Creamy Spicy Pepper Jack.
For the next few weeks my personal healthy snacking goal is:
Be more mindful of keeping my snacking healthy and balanced.
What about you? What’s your snacking goal?
The Laughing Cow® invites consumers to take a mindful moment; to enjoy a tasty and satisfying snack experience at its best. Rich, creamy and delicious, The Laughing Cow® Spreadable Cheese Wedges are the perfect option to help consumers achieve that moment of ultimate snack satisfaction.