This Brownie Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes recipe is a party on a plate! Use your favorite ice cream and turn these ice cream cupcakes into an easy dessert!
For about $8.13, you can make a fun birthday treat, after-school snack, or dessert any night of the week. The recipe makes 12 servings, which is just $0.68 per serving.
Brownie Ice Cream Sundae
After busy days, I need easy recipes to whip up that my family and guests will love. And that’s how this Brownie Sundae Cupcakes recipe was born.
Everyone loves brownies, everyone loves cupcakes, and everyone loves ice cream, right? It’s only natural that the three go together!
Fudgy brownies that have a smooth texture make the perfect cup to hold the ice cream and toppings, providing an individual dessert for kids and adults. Let me show you how to turn your favorite brownie mix into a brownie ice cream sundae.
To make this recipe, I took my little cutie and headed to the store to get our ingredients to make our brownie sundae. We grabbed a brownie mix, some ice cream, and a few toppings.
These brownie cupcakes are super flexible because you can pick the kind of ice cream you want to use and the toppings. Have a variety of toppings, and everyone will love being able to decorate their own brownie sundae cupcake just how they like it.
What goes on an ice cream sundae?
There are so many options to make your brownie sundae super delicious! Think flavored syrups, nuts, sprinkles, crumbled Oreo cookies, maraschino cherries, and whipped cream. Why do brownies go cakey?
Cake-like brownies are typically a result of too much liquid and over-mixing. Follow the directions on the box and always measure twice and pour once!
How do you know when brownies are done?
When the brownies start to pull away from the sides of the pan, or when an inserted toothpick comes out clean, the brownies are done baking. Bake them for the minimum required time for a more moist tasting brownie.
What are some other quick and easy desserts?
This brownie sundae is so quick and easy; it is one of my favorites. Another quick and easy dessert is this No-Bake Avalanche Cookie recipe.
Any recipe that doesn’t involve heating my kitchen in the summertime is my kind of recipe! Another quick, no-bake recipe is this Chocolate Lasagna. It looks time consuming but is ready in minutes.
I also love ice cream cakes with my kids. This Oreo Ice Cream Cake meets my guidelines of being easy to make and fun, too!
How to Make Brownie Sundae Cupcakes:
- Start by using your favorite brownie mix to make brownie cups.
- Once the brownies come out of the oven, squish them with another muffin tin to make a little well for the ice cream.
- Next, scoop ice cream on top of the cooled brownies.
- Finish the cupcakes with a healthy dose of chocolate sauce, rainbow sprinkles, and chopped nuts.
- Finally, add a cherry on top, and they’re ready to serve. Super easy!
How to turn brownie mix into cupcakes:
- First, line a standard-size muffin pan with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Use a muffin tin that has 12 wells.
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pick your favorite brownie mix and prepare the batter according to the box instructions.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tin wells; they should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake the brownie cupcakes until a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few moist crumbs, about 22-26 minutes.
- As soon as the brownies come out of the oven, use another muffin tin to squish the brownies down. This will create a nice even surface for ice cream or any frosting that you put on top of the brownie cupcakes.
- After 5 minutes, move the brownies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the brownie cupcakes are cool, top with ice cream or frosting.
How much will this recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $8.13
PER SERVING COST: $0.68
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 1- 18 oz brownie mix – $2.27
- ¼ cup water – $0.00
- 2 eggs – $0.20
- ½ cup vegetable oil – $0.24
- 2 quarts ice cream – $2.97
- ¼ cup chocolate sauce – $0.72
- 3 Tablespoons rainbow sprinkles – $0.60
- 3 Tablespoons peanuts – $0.36
- 12 maraschino cherries – $0.77
- muffin tin
- muffin liners
- wire rack
- ice cream scoop
More Easy Desserts:
- Easy Chocolate Fudge
- Carrot Cake Loaf
- Soft Centered Fudge Cakes
- Carrot Cake
- Andes Mint Cheesecake Dip
- Mixed Berry Crisp
- Apple Dump Cake
- Easy Pumpkin Cake
- Cream Cheese Caramel Apple Dip
- Reese’s Rice Krispie Treats
- Peppermint Cheesecake Dip
- Best Rice Krispie Treats
- Lemon Cream Pie Cheesecake Dip
- Birthday Rice Krispie Treats
Brownie Sundae Cupcakes
- 18-20 oz brownie mix + ingredients the mix calls for
- 2 quarts ice cream
- ¼ cup chocolate sauce
- 3 Tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- 3 Tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 12 maraschino cherries
PREP OVEN AND MUFFIN TIN:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with liners, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
MIX BROWNIE BATTER:
- Prepare the brownie mix as per the instructions.
POUR INTO TIN AND BAKE:
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin tin wells. They should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few moist crumbs, 22-26 minutes.
FLATTEN BROWNIE CUPCAKES:
- As soon as the brownie cupcakes come out of the oven use another muffin tin to squish them down, this will create a nice even surface for the ice cream.
- After 5 minutes, move the brownies to a wire rack to cool completely, about 45 minutes.
TOP WITH ICE CREAM AND TOPPINGS:
- Scoop a generous amount of ice cream on top of the brownies. Top with chocolate syrup, rainbow sprinkles, chopped peanuts, and a cherry on top!
- Serve immediately.
- Use your favorite ice cream for this recipe.
- If you'd like more of a cake-like brownie, then increase the number of eggs to 3.
- If you'd like more of a fudge-like brownie, then decrease the number of eggs to 1.
- Leftover brownie cupcakes bases can be kept in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 1 week.
This post first appeared on Food Folks and Fun on June 29, 2015. I have since updated the post.