The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Chicken Taco Soup is a quick and easy recipe that is made with canned pantry ingredients. It serves 6 and costs $8.29 to make. That’s just $1.38 per serving! Serve it with my Sour Cream Cornbread for a complete meal!
This Chicken Taco Soup is a quick, easy, and tasty meal. Not only does this 20-minute recipe streamline dinner, but my family begs for it week after week.
With the uncertain and ever-changing times, I wanted to provide a recipe to all of you that uses only canned pantry ingredients (aside from the optional garnishes) that you can make right now! No need to go running out to the store, because you probably have everything you need right now!
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
My family loves, and I mean loves this easy Chicken Taco Soup recipe. My kids love that it has so much flavor without being spicy, and I love that I can whip it up with very little pre-planning. This is because of 2 things:
- All of the ingredients, except for the garnishes, are pantry staples.
- It only takes 20 minutes to make!
More Pantry Recipes:
- Honey Wheat Bread
- Tomato Chicken Alfredo
- Watergate Salad
- Butterfinger Scotcheroos
- Quinoa Taco Casserole
- Reese’s Rice Krispies Treats
- One-Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Rice Krispies Treats
- Homemade Granola
- Copycat Avalanche Cookies
- Bunny Bait Snack Mix
- Homemade Bagels
I love using Chunky Salsa in this soup because it has a genuine Southwest flavor that my family just loves. To speed up the cooking process of the Taco Soup, I opted for canned chicken because it is cooked, and it’s low in fat.
Finally, I added condensed tomato soup to this recipe because it’s full of mouthwatering flavors that my family can’t get enough of!
This 20 Minute Chicken Taco Soup is so easy to make, let me show you how!
How To Make Crock-Pot Chicken Taco Soup:
You can make this recipe in your slow cooker, here’s how: Add all ingredients (minus the oil and garnishes) into your slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
Cook’s Note – Taco Soup:
- To make a complete meal, I like serving this taco soup with either my Simple Sour Cream Cornbread or Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread recipes.
- This recipe is very versatile. Instead of canned chicken, you can use shredded chicken, rotisserie chicken, or leave the chicken out altogether!
- Feel free to use any type of salsa that you like. I usually use Pace salsa.
- You can use any kind of canned beans in this recipe. I’ve also used pinto beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans, too.
- You can also use canned diced tomatoes instead of condensed tomato soup.
Can you freeze taco soup?
You bet! What’s great about this recipe is that you have your choice of freezing this soup before or after cooking it. You can freeze the soup in either air-tight freezer-safe containers or Ziploc freezer bags.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
- soup pot
- can opener
How much will this Pantry Chicken Taco Soup recipe cost?
RECIPE COST: $8.29
PER SERVING COST: $1.38
NOTE: I calculate the recipe prices by using name brand grocery prices on grocery store websites.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil – $0.02
- 12.5 oz canned chicken – $2.49
- 2 Tablespoon taco seasoning – $0.14
- 16 oz bottle salsa – $1.98
- 10 oz can Campbell’s Condensed Tomato Soup – $0.98
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth – $0.84
- 15 oz can black beans – $0.86
- 16 oz can chili beans – $0.98
20-Minute Chicken Taco Soup - with recipe video!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 12.5 ounces canned chicken drained
- 2 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 16 ounces salsa I use Pace chunky salsa
- 10 ounce can Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 16 ounce can chili beans
GARNISHES (ALL OPTIONAL):
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- sour cream
- diced avocado
- sliced green onion
- tortilla strips
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add chicken and taco seasoning and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in salsa, tomato soup, chicken broth, black beans, and chili beans. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, green onion, and tortilla strips.
Chicken Taco Soup is a quick and easy recipe made with canned pantry ingredients. It serves six and costs $8.29 to make. That’s just $1.38 per serving!
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Luci's Morsels says
This would be perfect for the colder months ahead. I can see myself making a batch and using this for an easy, reheat meal throughout the week. Yummy!
This soup would be perfect for this!
It’s so fun to have an easy recipe like this that can be prepared in no time. Thanks!
It’s great for busy back-to-school time!
Bintu - Recipes From A Pantry says
This looks hearty but full of good things too. I can’t believe how quick it is either
Amy | The Cook Report says
Mexican soups are my favourite, the flavours are just perfect. This one sounds so delicious, I can’t wait til it’s a bit cooler outside so I can give it a try
I hope you enjoy!
Made this Taco Soup Saturday and it was FANTASTIC! THANKS
So glad you liked it!
How many people does this recipe serve. I need to feed 15 church ladies.
This serves 4-6. 4 if this is the only thing on the menu, and 6 if you’re serving it with a salad and/or cornbread.
Claudia Lamascolo says
My family flipped over your recipe and we will be making this soon again!
Such a simple soup and it is so delicious, thank you for sharing 🙂
This soup looks simply amazing! I have never tried a taco soup before (crazy I know!) but I’ve obviously been missing out, as it sounds so delicious and perfect for cold nights xo
This is so easy and so smart for these pantry staples times! I love making tortillas soups! And especially all the toppings so everyone can make it their own.
Jeffrey Jankowski says
I’m loving this taco soup recipe.
Perfect to make before we hit this Arizona summer