This Chocolate Cannoli Tart has all the luscious flavor of a chocolate cannoli in an easy to make tart. It’s all dressed up and perfect for holiday entertaining or any time of the year.
I also recommend trying my Chocolate Truffle Tart. It is silky smooth and rich.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Holland House Cooking Wines. Thank you for supporting brands that make Food, Folks, and Fun possible.
This tart has holiday entertaining written all over it! It’s so elegant and pretty. It deserves to be at the center of any dessert table!
This tart is classically flavored with cocoa powder, semisweet chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, ricotta cheese, freshly whipped cream, cinnamon, orange, and Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine. Blending these flavor elements together makes for the most delicious highlight of your holiday dessert table.
I love using Holland House Cooking Wines in my recipes because they give a flavor boost to any dish. When I started to develop this cannoli tart recipe, I knew I had to make it with authentic flavors, and all of that started with the tart shell.
When making authentic cannoli shells, Marsala wine is a must. That’s why I used Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine in my tart shell. As a result, it tastes just like a chocolate cannoli shell!
Next, I adapted my favorite cannoli filling recipe for this tart to make it more festive for the holidays. I did this by adding just a hint of orange flavor.
Orange and dark chocolate is an irresistible flavor combination for the holidays!
WARNING: You may be tempted to eat the cannoli tart filling by the spoonful!
Finally, I finished the tart with a thick chocolate ganache and a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips.
- You can make the tart and filling up to 2 days in advance. Just keep them separate until 1 hour before serving, so the tart shell doesn’t become soggy. Keep the tart shell in an air-tight pie keeper at room temperature, and keep the cannoli filling covered in the refrigerator. Then 1 hour before serving, spread the cannoli filling into the tart shell, top with ganache, and chill for an hour.
- Leftover cannoli tart can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CANNOLI TART:
- Pulse dry ingredients in a food processor.
- Add eggs and pulse food processor until combined.
- Add Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine and pulse until a dough forms.
- Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic, and chill.
- Roll dough out and press into a tart pan. Place a sheet of foil over the tart, and weigh it down with dried beans or pie weights. Bake the tart shell and cool completely.
- Fill the tart shell with cannoli cream.
- Top with chocolate ganache and mini chocolate chips.
- Chill the tart, slice, and serve!
More Cannoli Recipes:
- Holy Cannoli Ice Cream Recipe
- How to make Cannoli Cream
- Homemade Cannoli Shells
- Cannoli Dip with Chocolate Covered Cannoli Chips
- Cannoli Cupcakes
Chocolate Cannoli Tart
CANNOLI TART SHELL:
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 ½ Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ cup + 1 Tablespoon Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 15 ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese strained
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest OR ½ teaspoon orange extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
CHOCOLATE GANACHE TOPPING:
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
MAKE CANNOLI TART SHELL:
- Add flour, dark brown sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt to food processor and pulse until blended. Add melted butter and egg yolks and pulse until blended. Slowly pour in Sherry Cooking Wine while pulsing food processor; continue to pulse until dough begins to come together. Shape dough into ball, and flatten into disk. Chill 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into 14-inch circle, about ¼-inch thick. Carefully move dough to tart pan and press dough evenly into every corner of tart shell. Cut off excess dough with paring knife. Place tart shell into refrigerator for 15 minutes to chill are rest.
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F while tart shell chills. Place tart pan on cookie sheet. Line tart with foil and place 1 pound of dried beans or pie weights on top of foil. Bake 30 minutes, then remove foil and weights, and return tart to oven to bake 8 more minutes. Place tart on oven rack to cool completely, about 2 hours.
MAKE CANNOLI FILLING:
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Place cream into small bowl and set aside.
- In the same mixing bowl, add ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, orange zest or extract, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix on medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Fold in whipped cream and chocolate chips.
ASSEMBLE CANNOLI TART:
- Pour filling into cooled tart shell, and use offset spatula to smooth into even layer. Chill tart 2 hours.
MAKE CHOCOLATE TOPPING AND FINISH:
- In small sauce pan, heat cream over medium heat until just starting to bubble, about 2-3 minutes. Pour cream over chopped bittersweet chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes, and then stir until chocolate is melted.
- Pour chocolate over cannoli tart and carefully smooth into even layer. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Place tart in fridge so ganache can set, about 60 minutes. Slice and serve!