The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Chocolate Chip Cake recipe has been a family favorite for nearly 50 years. It uses simple pantry ingredients that come together to make an irresistible Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake. Make it, and it will become a staple at your family get-togethers, birthdays, and parties!
This Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake costs about $8.15 to make. It makes 16 servings for just $0.51 per serving.
Chocolate Chip Cake
My mom has been making this cake for literally decades. It holds so many of my childhood memories; I remember having it at numerous family gatherings and birthday parties.
It’s nothing fancy; it’s basically a buttery pound cake that has been dotted with mini chocolate chips. This is a simple yet classic Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake that is a delight to eat.
Why you’ll love this Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe
- It is a classic dessert that is always a crowd-pleaser.
- Chocolate chip bundt cake is simple to make.
- It is a delicious and moist cake perfect for any chocolate lover.
How do you keep chocolate chips from sinking in a cake?
Make sure you toss the chocolate chips in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour before folding them into the batter. This will help prevent the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom (or top when flipped out) of the cake.
Will chocolate chips melt in a cake?
The chocolate chips will not melt completely while baking in the oven. They will, however, become softer. Once the cake is cooled, the chocolate chips will go back to their solid form.
What is the trick to a moist chocolate chip bundt cake?
I have a few simple tips to help you have a moist cake every time. First, use cake flour and not all-purpose flour. Next, use room temperature butter. Lastly, do not over-mix or over-bake.
Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake Recipe Ingredients and cost breakdown
RECIPE COST: $8.15
PER SERVING COST: $0.51
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 2 ¾ cups cake flour – $1.12
- 2 teaspoons baking powder – $0.30
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar – $0.35
- 1 cup salted butter – $1.62
- ¾ cup milk – $0.12
- 4 large eggs – $0.40
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla – $0.46
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips – $2.74
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips – $0.65
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter – $0.30
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup – $0.09
How to make Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake:
STEP ONE: First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Then spray a bundt pan with cooking spray and set the pan aside.
STEP TWO: Next, make the cake. Mix the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients.
STEP THREE: After adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, fold in the chocolate strips.
STEP FOUR: Then pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for one hour. Let the cake cool for 45 minutes in the pan.
STEP FIVE: Next, remove the cake from the pan to continue cooling on a wire rack. Meanwhile, make the chocolate glaze.
STEP SIX: Finally, pour the warm chocolate glaze (instructions below) over the cake’s top, letting it drizzle down the sides. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Making the glaze for Chocolate Chip Cake
STEP ONE: Bring about an inch of water to a bubble in the bottom part of a double broiler. Once bubbling, add chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup to the top part of a double broiler.
STEP TWO: Stir until the chocolate chips are melted and the chocolate glaze is smooth.
How to store Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
SERVE AND STORE: Store the cake in a cake dome or container for 2-3 days at room temperature. Do not refrigerate the cake, because it will cause the cake to dry out faster.
FREEZE: Wrap the cake in two layers of plastic wrap followed by two layers of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. If you choose to freeze this cake, it’s best to do so without the chocolate glaze on top. This is because the glaze doesn’t freeze and defrost well.
Chocolate Chip Pound Cake Recipe variations and tips
- You can serve this cake plain or with the chocolate glaze and even a scoop of vanilla ice cream. My family highly recommends having a nice cold glass of milk with this cake, too!
How do you keep chocolate chips from sinking in a cake?
- You can use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the mini chocolate chips; make sure you toss the chocolate chips in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour before folding them into the batter. This will help prevent the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom (or top when flipped out) of the cake.
- Don’t be tempted to remove the cake from the pan before it’s cooled for an hour in the pan. If you do, you run the risk of the cake falling apart during the turning out process.
Cook’s Tools – Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake:
- Bundt pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Double boiler
- Mixing bowls
- Stand mixer
More Dessert Recipes:
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- Instant Pot Creme Brulee
- Red Velvet Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
- Grandma’s Crushed Pineapple Cake
- Snickers Cheesecake Brownies
- Easy Chocolate Fudge with Almonds
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake Copycat
- Black Forest Cherry Cake
- Buckeye Candy
- Pink Macarons
Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 ¾ cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- ¾ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- vanilla ice cream optional
PREHEAT OVEN AND PREP PAN:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in milk, eggs, and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined and there are no flour streaks.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
BAKE AND COOL:
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick that is inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 45 minutes in the pan. Then, remove the cake from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- In a double boiler over bubbling water, add chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup.
- Stir until the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth.
FINISH THE CAKE:
- Pour the warm glaze over top of the cake, letting it drizzle down the sides.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional).
This Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake recipe first appeared on FFF on February 7, 2011. I have since updated the pictures and added a recipe video.