THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
These Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Hazelnuts are perfect for parties, potlucks, Christmas Bake Sales, and cookie exchanges! The chocolate and hazelnut flavor combination can’t be beat! Grab the kids or grandkids, because they will LOVE mixing and rolling these Christmas cookies with you!
Disclosure: This Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Hazelnuts recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy an item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
I can’t believe that this is the first recipe on my blog that calls for Nutella! How have I not incorporated this luscious hazelnut spread before in my recipes?!? Regardless, you MUST make these Chocolate Crinkle Cookies this Christmas season! Not only are they delicious, but they are so fun to make! Grab the kids for this recipe because they will love helping you mix, stir, and roll these Christmas cookies.
Cook’s Note – Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Hazelnuts
- Cookies will keep, at room temperature in an air-tight container, for up to 3 days.
Cook’s Tools and Ingredients – Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Hazelnuts
- heatproof measuring cup
- mixing bowl
- stand mixer OR hand mixer
- cookie sheets
- silicone baking mats OR parchment paper
- wire racks
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon cookie scoop
- pie plates (or other wide, shallow dishes for rolling the cookie dough in nuts and powdered sugar with)
- cocoa powder (this brand and this brand are my favorites)
TWO YEARS AGO: Monte Cristo Strudels
THREE YEARS AGO: Baked Pimento Cheese Dip – Southwest Style
- 1/3 cup milk any kind except for skim
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups Nutella or 1 13-ounce jar
- 4 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts toasted and chopped fine
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- In heat-proof measuring cup heat milk in microwave on medium power for 30 seconds, or until temperature reaches 90-100 degrees F. Stir in cocoa powder with fork, set aside until ready to use.
- In large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In bowl of stand mixer, beat together Nutella, butter, and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Turn mixer off and add flour mixture and cocoa powder mixture; pulse mixer on and off until almost combined. Increase speed to low and mix until fully combined, about 30 seconds. Fold in ½ cup hazelnuts, and chill until firm, about 60 minutes.
- After cookie dough has chilled for 30 minutes, adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Once dough has chilled for 60 minutes, place remaining hazelnuts in a pie plate, and powdered sugar into another pie plate. Using 1 ½ tablespoon scoop, scoop dough one mound at a time. Roll dough into ball, and roll into hazelnuts (dough should be studded with hazelnuts, not covered). Roll dough balls lightly in your hands to compress hazelnuts into dough. Next, roll into powdered sugar and place balls on prepared cookie sheets, 2-inches apart. Bake until set, about 12-14 minutes, switching and rotating pans halfway through baking. Cool cookies on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then move to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.