The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Vegetarian Quesadilla recipe is LOADED with goat cheese, cheddar, corn, black beans, and poblano peppers. It’s a quick and easy recipe, and great for lunch or busy weeknight dinners!
Disclosure: This Loaded Vegetarian Quesadilla recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
When I first read this recipe in Cook’s Country June/July 2014 magazine, I knew I needed to try it…and fast! I have been making it for almost 3 years now, and I tinker with the base recipe a bit. Below is my favorite version of it. I changed the original recipe in the following ways: I added more goat cheese (because quite frankly that’s never a bad idea), replaced some of the water with lime juice to brighten the flavors a bit, and I added cumin to deepen the savory feel of this dish.
These Loaded Vegetarian Quesadillas are quickly becoming my go-to dinner recipe for a few reasons:
- The flavor combination of the poblano pepper, corn, goat cheese, cheddar, and black beans send me into savory goodness overload!
- I’m a sucker for anything goat cheese! Plus I buy those goat cheese logs from Costco that last forever, so I seem to also way have goat cheese in my fridge!
- These Vegetable Quesadillas are insanely easy to make! Just a few easy steps and dinner is D-O-N-E!
This Loaded Vegetarian Quesadilla recipe is so easy to make, let me show you how!
How to Make Vegetarian Quesadilla:
- Gather and prep the ingredients.
- Cook the veggies and beans.
- Fill half of the tortilla with the corn picture, and top with cheese. Fold over, cook, slice, and serve!
To make this goat cheese quesadilla recipe into more of a full-fledged meal, I suggest serving it with a healthy dose of guacamole, sour cream, salsa, Mexican rice, and Mexican sweet corn cake! You’ll feel like you just got takeout from your favorite Mexican restaurant!
Cook’s Tools – Loaded Vegetarian Quesadilla:
ONE YEAR AGO: Creamy Blueberry Crumb Bars
TWO YEARS AGO: Homemade Strawberry Syrup
THREE YEARS AGO: Edamame Stir Fry
Loaded Vegetarian Quesadilla with Goat Cheese, Corn, Black Beans, and Poblano
- 1 ½ cups crumbled goat cheese 6 ounces
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese shredded 4 ounces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion small dice
- 1 large ear corn kernels cut from cob (or ¾ cup thawed frozen corn)
- 1 poblano chile stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- FOR SERVING: optional:
- Sour cream
- Sweet corn cake
- In small bowl, toss together cheeses; set aside.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Stir in onion, corn, and poblano and cook until softened and edges of onion begin to brown, about 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in beans, water, lime juice, and cumin and cook until water evaporates, about 1 minute.
- Remove mixture from heat, and coarsely mash mixture with potato masher, and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread ¼ of corn mixture over half of each tortilla, leaving ½-inch border around edges. Sprinkle ¼ of cheese mixture over corn mixture, and fold other half of tortilla over the half with filling. Press firmly to seal.
- Wipe skillet out with paper towel, and heat 1 ½ teaspoons oil in empty skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook 2 quesadillas at a time until crispy and golden brown in spots, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Move cooked quesadillas to cutting board, and repeat with reaming 1 ½ teaspoons oil and last 2 quesadillas. Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and sweet corn cake.