This One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls Recipe is a quick & easy one pot Mexican meal that feeds a crowd. One of our readers, Patricia, said this about these burrito bowls: “This dish is a winner all the way around in my book! One-pot? Check. Bowl meal? Check. Full-flavored? Check!”
There’s a one-pot recipe craze going on right now. They’re quick and easy to make, and there seem to be endless flavor combinations. Today I’m sharing my favorite Mexican one-pot recipe: One-Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls.
One-Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl
This recipe has been shared on social media over 11,000 times! These burrito bowls are perfect for times when you can’t get to the grocery store because it calls for pantry ingredients (aside from the garnishes)!
One of my favorite places to eat is Chipotle. Their chicken burrito bowl is so good! Unfortunately, I cannot run over to Chipotle anytime I have a craving for them.
Fortunately, I can whip up my own chicken burrito bowl recipe in no time. What’s even better about this recipe is that it only takes one pot or pan to make it! As a busy mom, one-pot meals are music to my ears.
A Healthier Option!
Chicken burrito bowls are a healthier option because you can serve them over lettuce and without the tortilla. Not only are they healthier, but they’re cheaper, too. Let me break down the estimated cost for this recipe.
How much will these one-pot chicken burrito bowls cost?
RECIPE COST: $9.12
COST PER SERVING: $1.52
NOTE: The recipe prices are used calculating name brand products from Walmart’s website. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what your pantry is already stocked with and current grocery prices.
- 1 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil – $0.14
- 1 cup extra long grain rice – $0.39
- 2 2/3 cups chicken broth – $1.12
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder – $0.15
- 12.5 ounce can chicken – $2.49
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed – $0.86
- 10 ounce can RO*TEL tomatoes – $0.98
- 2 teaspoons onion powder – $0.06
- 1 teaspoon chili powder – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin – $0.09
- salt & pepper to taste – $0.03
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese – $2.78
Are burrito bowls healthy?
If you stick with the healthiest items in your burrito bowl of chicken, veggies, lettuce, tomato salsa and avocado you will be somewhere right around 500 calories for that meal. It’s a pretty filling dish so you should be set! It will add some calories to add the good stuff including the beans, rice, sour cream and cheese which will add roughly another 500 calories. Basically, this meal is flexible to be as healthy as you would like it to be.
What goes in a burrito bowl?
The basics of a burrito bowl are chicken, beans, tomatoes, cheese, and some seasonings served over rice. You can top the burrito bowls with items such as cheese, lettuce, sour cream, avocado, and green onions.
Are burrito bowls served hot or cold?
This goes along with the thought process in Goldilocks and The Three Bears. You know how one bowl of porridge was hot, one was cold, and one was just right? I guess the same is true here. You can definitely eat this cold but in my opinion, it is best when eaten hot.
How long does a burrito bowl last in the fridge?
As long as it is stored properly in an airtight container, the filling will stay fresh in the fridge for about 4 days.
Love Mexican food as much as I do?
Check out some of my personal favorite recipes:
- Picadillo Tacos
- Restaurant Style Refried Beans
- New Mexico Style Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Mexican Spinach Dip
- Sweet Corn Tamales Cake
- Green Chile Pinto Beans
- Enchilada sauce
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Queso Blanco Dip
- Breakfast Taco Bar
All the ingredients you need for this recipe:
Cook’s Note – One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls Recipe:
- To assemble the bowls I like to add the rice mixture to a bowl, top with shredded lettuce and add more of the garnishes (if using)
- This recipe is also great served over chips for nachos!
- large covered skillet
- wooden spoon
- can opener
- 30 Minute Quinoa Taco Casserole
- Taco Salad Mini Bites
- Tex-Mex Stuffed Squash
- Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas
- Mexican Lasagna
- Stove Top Chicken Fajitas
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup extra long-grain rice uncooked
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ⅔ cups chicken broth (or 3 bouillon cubes dissolved in 2 ⅔ cups of hot water)
- 12.5 ounce can chicken drained
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 10 ounce can RO*TEL tomatoes I used their Lime & Cilantro variety
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese optional
GARNISHES (all optional):
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- Roma tomatoes diced
- avocado diced
- sour cream
- green onions sliced
- lime wedges
- In a large, deep pan over medium heat add the olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering add the rice to the pan and saute the rice until it starts to brown; about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic powder and cook until fragrant; about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, canned chicken, black beans, RO*TEL, onion powder, chili powder, and ground cumin to the pan. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Turn off the heat, uncover, and fluff the mixture briefly with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese (if using) and stir to combine. Add your garnishes (if using), and serve!
This one-pot chicken burrito bowl recipe was first published on March 30, 2015. Here are some of the original photos from this post: