The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This homemade Peppermint Patty Candy is a refreshing holiday treat perfect for Christmas cookie trays and gifting. These Peppermint Patties have a creamy peppermint center that’s covered in semi-sweet chocolate.
It only costs $3.51 to get your hands on these creamy Peppermint treats. The recipe makes 16 patties, which is only $0.21 per patty!
For more easy no-bake Christmas candy ideas, check out these recipes for Christmas Divinity Candy, Peppermint Bark Candy, and these Gingerbread Oreo Truffles.
Peppermint Patty Candy
A cool York Peppermint Patty is a delicious treat that everyone loves. I love them so much I wanted to create my own version to whip up anytime I crave them.
I love to make these during the holidays and include them on a cookie tray or bring them to a Holiday party. But I do crave them throughout the year, which is perfect since I can make them anytime I want!
These Peppermint Patties are soft and creamy on the inside and covered in dark chocolate on the outside. With little prep work and a few ingredients, you will have smooth and sweet Peppermint Patties this holiday season.
Are Peppermint Patties good for you?
All things in moderation, right? This candy is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth for only a few calories. There are 233 calories per peppermint patty.
What are peppermint patties made of?
This recipe uses the following ingredients: powdered sugar, butter, heavy cream, chocolate chips, peppermint extract, and shortening.
What is the white stuff in a York Peppermint Patty?
The white stuff is a delicious layer of cream that is peppermint flavored. The cool cream is then dipped in chocolate. The combo is cool, fresh, and delicious!
How to make Homemade Peppermint Patties Candy:
STEP ONE: First, make the peppermint filling.
STEP TWO: Then place the filling on a piece of parchment paper, rolling it into a log. Place in the freezer to chill for about twenty minutes.
STEP THREE: Next, using a sharp knife, cut the log into ½ inch thick pieces. Roll the pieces into a ball.
STEP FOUR: Flatten the ball into a circular disc. Place the discs on a baking sheet and then place the pan in the fridge.
STEP FIVE: Next, melt the chocolate coating until smooth. Dip a patty into the melted chocolate. Let the candy sit until fully hardened.
STEP SIX: Serve and enjoy!
***For full instructions, check out the recipe video in the recipe card below!
- Large bowls
- Handheld mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking sheets
- Chef’s knife
- Mixing spoon
Ingrediends and Cost
RECIPE COST: $3.51
PER SERVING COST: $0.21
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 2 ½ -3 cups powdered sugar – $0.87
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.30
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream – $0.21
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract – $0.12
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.15
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips – $1.74
- 1 Tablespoon shortening – $0.12
More Holiday Desserts:
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Loaded Peppermint Cookies
- Gingerbread Oreo Truffles
- Peppermint Bark Sugar Cookie Pie
- Andes Mint Cheesecake Dip
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Dip
- Chewy Gingerbread Bars
- Hanging Gingerbread Cookies
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Spiced Creme Brulee
- Peppermint Bark Brownies
- Gingerbread Cupcakes
- Old Fashioned Fudge
- Butter Pecan Fudge
Peppermint Patty Candy
- 2 ½ – 3 cups powdered sugar plus some for dusting
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable shortening
- Additional chocolate for drizzle optional
MAKE PEPPERMINT FILLING:
- In a large bowl, beat on medium speed, 2 cups powdered sugar, and butter until well combined.
- Gradually add heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until well combined. Add peppermint and vanilla extracts and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add more powdered sugar until the mixture is stiff.
- Place peppermint filling on a piece of parchment paper and roll it into a log that is about 2 inches in circumference.
- Place the filling in the freezer to chill for about 20-30 minutes or in the refrigerator overnight.
CUT AND SHAPE FILLING:
- Using a sharp knife, cut the log into pieces about 1⁄2 inch thick and roll them into a ball using powdered sugar if the dough is sticky.
- Using a glass dipped in powdered sugar, gently flatten the ball into a circular disc.
- Place the discs on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Return the discs to the refrigerator while you prepare the chocolate.
MAKE CHOCOLATE COATING:
- Add chocolate and shortening to a microwave-safe bowl and heat at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir and continue heating for 20-30 seconds at a time and stirring after each heating.
- Stop just before the chocolate is completely melted. Stir the chocolate until smooth.
- Line another baking sheet with parchment paper
ASSEMBLE PEPPERMINT PATTY CANDY:
- Remove patties a few at a time from the refrigerator and dip into melted chocolate.
- Let the candy sit until fully hardened. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Claudia Lamascolo says
I think I will make these for my sons wedding party on the tables they should be a huge hit for sure!
These are my absolute favorite candy! I used to gorge on these as a kid 🙂 Love how easy it is to make them at home now with this recipe!
Julie Menghini says
These are so much better than any store bought peppermint patty. They look absolutely fantastic!
Alisa Infanti says
So good I am finding it hard not to eat them all!
These look so yummy! My husband and daughter are going to love this recipe! Can’t wait to give these a try!
Love peppermint patties and have always wanted to give them a go at home, great recipe!
These are so delicious! Planning on making a bunch as edible Christmas gifts this year!
I loved making this candy! It looked difficult but it was really easy and came out deliciously!
Heather Johnson says
deliciousness! i love the ones at the store but don’t like buying premade if i can help it – these were easy to make and even tastier! i always wondered how to do it and this was so easy! thanks!
I had no idea it was so easy to make these delightful holiday treats from scratch! These turned out way better than the peppermint patties I typically buy at the store – I won’t be going back to store bought again!