This Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala recipe boasts tender pieces of chicken in a spiced creamy tomato curry. It tastes as if it came from your favorite Indian restaurant.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
My goal with this recipe was to develop an easy, make-at-home Chicken Tikka Masala that uses readily-available ingredients. I also wanted it to rival that of your favorite Indian restaurant. The added bonus of this recipe is that you can make it in a slow cooker! If my kids requesting this Chicken Tikka Masala recipe every week isn’t a sign of a recipe-win, then I don’t know what is!
Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala is a great option for busy weeknights. I like to prep this recipe in the morning and then leave it in my slow cooker insert in the refrigerator until I’m ready to cook it. That way all that I have to do to get dinner on the table is to whip up some basmati rice. I can easily do this while helping my kids with homework.
When I make this Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe for dinner I like to serve it with this easy Shrikhand recipe for dessert. ANd when I’m running super short on time and my kids are craving Indian for dinner, then I make this Garbanzo Bean Coconut Curry or Instant Pot Yellow Dal.
Cook’s Note – Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe:
- To get the traditional char on the chicken, you can sauté the chicken in a hot skillet with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil until char spots form. No need to cook the chicken all the way through, that will happen in the slow cooker.
- If your slow cooker runs hot, then you may need to reduce the cooking time to 2-3 hours.
- Don’t fret if the mixture looks a little curdled after cooking. Once the cream is added and mixed in, the texture will improve.
- This recipe will double nicely. You just may need to add 30-60 minutes to the cooking time.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
Cook’s Tools – Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala:
ONE YEAR AGO: Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
TWO YEARS AGO: Garlic Cheese Breadsticks
THREE YEARS AGO: Tomato Basil Pasta
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion small diced
- 1 large serrano chile stemmed, seeded chopped small
- 5 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts thawed and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 4-5 breasts)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Add the tomatoes, yogurt, and sugar to a slow cooker and whisk to combine.
- In a large, 12-inch skillet over medium heat melt the butter. Once the foaming subsides, add in the onion and serrano chile and cook until the onion is softened and the edges begin to brown slightly about 8-9 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, garam masala, cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt and pepper and until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the onion and spice mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Stir the chicken into the mixture, and cover and cook for 3-4 hours on LOW or until the chicken is cooked through.
- 30 minutes before the tikka masala is done, make the basmati rice as per the package instructions.
- Once the tikka masala is done cooking, stir in the cream until no white streaks remain.
- Serve with basmati rice and garnish with cilantro.
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- Crock-Pot Chicken Gyro Bowls - January 15, 2020
- Grandma’s Golumpki – Stuffed Polish Cabbage (Gołąbki) - January 14, 2020
- Oven Roasted Broccoli - January 11, 2020