The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These easy Slow Cooker Hawaiian Haystacks with Avocado Crema are a family favorite for weeknight dinners. They’re perfect for picky eaters because each haystack is completely customizable!
For tips on How to Peel an Avocado, read this post. A few simple steps make all the difference when cutting avocados.
Disclosure: This Slow Cooker Hawaiian Haystacks with Avocado Crema recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
Who doesn’t love a good slow cooker meal? Especially one for busy weeknights, and ESPECIALLY one that’s completely customizable that even the pickiest of eaters would love.
Over the years I’ve tried a couple of Hawaiian Haystack recipes, but they all used condensed soup. I don’t love condensed soup, so when possible I always make my own. And that’s exactly what I did for my Slow Cooker Hawaiian Haystack recipe. Yes, opening a can is much faster, but making your own white sauce/condensed soup is really not that hard and it takes just a few minutes.
In the past when I’ve had Hawaiian Haystacks I always thought something was missing; something to bring the dish together. Now I know that avocado crema is that something that was missing! I love the tangy-sweet, creamy flavor boost it adds to the Hawaiian Haystacks. I now don’t make this recipe without it!
Cook’s Note – Slow Cooker Hawaiian Haystacks
- These Hawaiian Haystacks can be served over any type of rice: white, brown, Jasmine, Basmati, etc. You can even serve them over buttered noodles, too.
- In the recipe I listed possible toppings. Use whatever your family will love. I like setting these Hawaiian Haystacks up buffet style so everyone can serve themselves.
- For leftovers I store each topping in its own ziplock bag. The crema I keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and it will keep up to 5 days. The chicken mixture I also keep in the refrigerator and it will keep for up to 5 days, too.
Cook’s Tools – Slow Cooker Hawaiian Haystacks
- slow cooker (this is my all-time favorite slow cooker!)
- cutting board
- chef’s knife
- food processor
ONE YEAR AGO: Pinto Beans
TWO YEARS AGO: Breakfast Burritos
THREE YEARS AGO: Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
- WHITE SAUCE:
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 Large garlic clove minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth divided
- 1 ½ cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 4 large chicken breasts
- AVOCADO CREMA:
- 1 large avocado halved, pitted, and chopped coarse
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- pinch salt
- FOR SERVING:
- cooked rice
- TOPPINGS: crunchy Asian noodles sliced black olives, diced fresh pineapple, mandarin oranges, green onions, chopped celery, diced red bell pepper, chopped macadamia nuts, shredded coconut, shredded cheese, etc.
- MAKE WHITE SAUCE: In large saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Add garlic and onion powder and cook until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. Add flour, and stir constantly until mixture turns light brown, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in 2 ½ cups chicken broth and milk. Continue to stir mixture constantly until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- COOK IN SLOW COOKER: Place chicken in slow cooker insert and pour white sauce over chicken. Cook on LOW for 5 hours or HIGH for 2 ½ hours.
- minutes before serving shred chicken. If chicken and sauce mixture is too thick for your liking, thin it out with remaining ½ cup chicken broth. Season again with salt and pepper, then cover and cook 15 more minutes.
- MAKE AVOCADO CREMA: While chicken cooks for last 15 minutes, add all avocado crema ingredients to food processor bowl. Pulse until desired consistency is reached. Pour crema into serving bowl.
- TO FINISH: Serve chicken and sauce mixture over your favorite rice (I serve mine over Jasmine or Basmati). Finish with your favorite toppings and avocado crema, serve immediately.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Yum! This recipe is so delicious and tasty! I can’t wait to make this recipe again soon!
I’ve never heard of this recipe before, but after reading this post I’m craving it. I think I’ve got everything in the kitchen to make it, score!!
this looks so delicious. Going on the menu this week and i’m betting it will be a hit with the kids too!
Shadi Hasanzadenemati says
Love how easy this recipe is. It’s perfect for our family!
You are right! The white sauce really doesn’t take long to make from scratch and it tastes great. What a fun recipe.