Sausage and Peppers Pasta
This Sausage and Peppers Pasta recipe is a quick and easy version of the slow-cooked Italian classic.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ pounds Italian sausage cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 14 ½ ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces penne pasta cooked as per package direction
- Shredded Mozzarella for serving
- Grated Parmesan for serving
- Freshly chopped basil for serving
Heat oil in a large, deep skillet or pan over medium heat.
Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the peppers and onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally about 4-6 minutes.
Once the peppers and onions are just tender, add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and fennel seeds to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes, and then uncover and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Pour the sausage, peppers, and tomato mixture over the cooked penne pasta. Top with mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and serve!
Calories: 566kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 785mg | Potassium: 769mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 680IU | Vitamin C: 60.4mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 3.6mg