Polish Beet Soup
Polish Beet Soup, Barszcz or Borscht, is an easy and delicious vegetable-packed soup that is bright in color and flavor! Your family will love this sweet and sour soup.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 5 large garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups beef bone broth or beef stock
- 5 medium beets peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 celery stalks chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- salt to taste
- ground black peppers to taste
- Sour cream
- Fresh chopped dill
In a large heavy-bottomed pot melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once the foaming subsides, add the onion and cook until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Slowly add in the beef bone broth while scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add in the beets, carrots, celery, bay leaves, caraway seeds, and allspice. Bring the mixture to a low boil, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Turn off the heat and remove the bay leaves. Add in the vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 250mg | Potassium: 227mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 9285IU | Vitamin C: 6.4mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 0.3mg