THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
These Yellow Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Buttercream are just the dessert for any type of celebration: birthdays, the first day of school, awards, promotions, or simply just because! The yellow cake is rich and tender, and the buttercream tastes just like fudge!
Here’s what my little family is celebrating:
|Curtis getting “pinned” by his dad and sister.|
|Curtis receiving his first salute as an officer in the Marine Corps!|
|My little cutie, Mia.|
Cook’s Note – Yellow Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Buttercream:
- ***While making the chocolate buttercream for this recipe it is crucial that you melt the chocolate and let it cool to room temperature; if you don’t your frosting won’t come together and you’ll have a gloppy mess on your hands. Also, note that once the melted and cooled chocolate is added to the frosting it will take a good 3-5 minutes with your mixer on medium-medium high speed for the mixture to come together—be patient and try not to freak out (like I did 😉 ), it will come together).
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
Cook’s Tools – Yellow Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Buttercream:
Yellow Cupcakes w/ Milk Chocolate Buttercream - Celebration Cupcakes
- 2 ¾ cups cake flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 2 LARGE eggs
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk at room temperature
MILK CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM:
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 ½ Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips melted and then cooled
- jumbo rainbow nonpareils optional
- Move oven rack to middle position, and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 2 standard cupcake tins with twelve baking papers each, and set aside.
- In medium bowl add flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk until combined, and set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer add butter and sugar and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy and pale yellow, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat on low until combined.
- Add half of dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add half of the milk and mix until combined. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and milk and mix until combined.
- Using 4-Tablespoon scoop, scoop batter into prepared cupcake tins. Bake until inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 16-18 minutes. Let cupcakes cool 10 minutes, and then transfer cupcakes to wire rack to cool completely.
MAKE MILK CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM:
- Add butter to bowl of stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Turn mixer off and add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt. Pulse mixer on lowest setting until combined, about 1 minute. Increase speed to high and beat until light and airy, about 4-5 minutes. Turn mixer to low and slowly drizzle in melted and cooled chocolate, and then increase speed to medium-high and mix until buttercream comes together about 2-4 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes and top with jumbo rainbow nonpareils (optional), and serve.