This Emergency Zucchini Cake recipe is just the thing when you get a hankering for zucchini cake and need it fast! It’s a simple from-scratch recipe with all of the important elements: spicy, moist cake with zucchini throughout and fluffy cream cheese frosting.
Disclosure: This post for Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running.
Have you ever had a zucchini cake emergency? You know — when it’s summer time, your garden is over-flowing with zucchini, and your sweet tooth starts talking to you? Then you begin dreaming about spiced zucchini cake, walnuts, and pools of fluffy cream cheese frosting? Oh good, I’m not alone! And that, folks, is a carrot cake emergency! Luckily, I have us covered with this simple homemade zucchini cake recipe.
Cook’s Note – Emergency Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- If you don’t like nuts, then simply leave them out.
- Chopped pecans work well with this cake, too.
- If you don’t have vanilla bean paste, you can simply use vanilla extract. You just won’t get the little speck of vanilla in your cream cheese frosting.
Cook’s Tools – Emergency Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
ONE YEAR AGO: S’mores Snack Mix
TWO YEARS AGO: Best Biscuit Recipe for Strawberry Shortcakes
THREE YEARS AGO: No-Bake Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake
ZUCCHINI CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING RECIPE VIDEO:
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, plus more for garnish
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened but still cool
- 5 Tablespoons butter softened, but still cool
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste ot vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- FOR THE CAKE: Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8x8-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray; cut and place a square of parchment paper on bottom of pan, lightly spray again, and set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In large measuring cup whisk together oil and eggs; add mixture to dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Fold in zucchini and walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Place pan on cooling rack for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of cake pan, invert caking onto cooling rack and cool completely, about 1-2 hours.
- FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Once cake is cool make the frosting. Add cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and vanilla to bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Mix on high until combined, about 60 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl was needed. Add confectioners’ sugar and mix on high until nice and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- TO FINISH THE CAKE: Spread frosting evenly over cake using offset spatula, and sprinkle with walnuts (optional). Cut zucchini cake into squares and serve.
Makes 9-12 servings.
If you loved my Emergency Zucchini Cake, then you’ll love my Emergency Carrot Cake!