THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This Lemon and Raspberry Jam Thumbprint Cookies recipe is an easy, versatile, and classic Christmas Cookie recipe that everyone loves. Plus each cookie is under 100 calories!
Jam Thumbprint Cookies
These cookies have a refreshing, bright flavor that’s a nice change from the usual decadent cookies at Christmas time. My kids love helping me make these cookies, they especially like flouring their thumbs and sticking them into the cookie dough!
8 Jam Thumbprint Cookies Variations:
Every once in a while I like to change up the flavor of these cookies with these variations. Just switch out the lemon zest, lemon juice, and raspberry jam with the ingredients below.
- orange zest | orange juice | orange marmalade
- orange zest | orange juice | passionfruit jam
- lime zest | lime juice | strawberry jam
- lime zest | lime juice | blueberry jam
- grapefruit zest | grapefruit juice | cherry jam
- grapefruit zest | grapefruit juice | raspberry jam
- lemon zest | lemon juice | almond paste
- lemon zest | lemon juice | strawberry jam | 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds
Cook’s Note – Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies:
- Sometimes I like to dress these cookies up a bit by giving them a dusting of sifted powdered sugar right before serving.
- You can also dress these cookies up by adding a drizzle of melted white chooclate to them, yum!
Cook’s Tools – Jam Thumbprint Cookies Recipe:
ONE YEAR AGO: Chewy Gingerbread Cookie Bars
TWO YEARS AGO: Loaded Peppermint Cookies
THREE YEARS AGO: Chocolate Cherry Brookie Cups
Lemon and Raspberry Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter softened at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until creamy and the butter has lightened in color, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla and beat until just combined.
- Add the flour mixture, and beat on low until the flour is absorbed.
- Using a 1-tablespoon scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets leaving 2 inches between cookie dough balls. Flour your thumb and make a shallow indentation in the center of each cookie dough ball. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- While the cookies bake, add the jam to a small heat-proof bowl and microwave for 10-second intervals until the jam loosens and smooths out when stirred. After the cookies have baked for 10 minutes, remove them from the oven and reshape the center indentation using the back of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon. Drop 1/2 teaspoon of raspberry jam into the center of each cookie. Pop the cookies back into the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cookies are light golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.