This Pepperoni Stromboli recipe is simple to make and easy to customize to your taste. Come see how to make stromboli in this easy-to-follow recipe!
It costs about $10.43 to make this recipe that serves eight people. This works out to be only $1.30 per serving.
Every Friday evening is pizza night at my house. But, sometimes, I like to shake up pizza night by making something other than Homemade Pizza with my fabulous homemade pizza dough recipes like pizza rolls, Homemade Three Cheese Calzones, or this Stromboli recipe.
I LOVE this stromboli recipe because I can prepare almost all of the recipes up to 24 hours before baking. This means I have more time on my hands Friday night to play games or watch a movie with my kids instead of spending time making this entire recipe from start to finish.
What is stromboli, you ask? It is basically a pizza roll cut up into slices. It is full of your favorite savory fillings with a crispy dough wrapped around it. You can make this Stromboli recipe as a main dish, appetizer, or the perfect game day snack!
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.30
Recipe Cost: $10.43
- 8 ounces pepperoni – $3.64
- 2-pound pizza dough ball – $1.32
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil – $0.14
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese – $3.15
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese – $1.99
- 1 large egg – $0.10
- 1 Tablespoon water – $0.00
- 1 ½ teaspoons sesame seeds – $0.09
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, cook the pepperoni in the microwave. Then preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Next, shape the dough into a 12×10-inch rectangle. Brush the edges with olive oil.
- Fill the dough with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and parmesan cheese.
- Fold over one long side of the dough followed by the second side. Then pinch the seams shut and place it on the baking sheet.
- Brush the stromboli with the egg mixture followed by sesame seeds. Cut slits into the top of the stromboli and cover with tin foil.
- Finally, bake the strombolis. Let cool for five minutes before slicing and serving.
How to prepare Stromboli ahead of time:
Prepare the recipe through step 10 below. Then, cover the strombolis with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Remove the plastic wrap and continue with the recipe at step 11 when you are ready to bake. Just note that you may need to add 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Feel free to fill yours with whatever fillings you’d like. Here are some of our favorites:
- Italian sausage and broccoli rabe
- Broccoli, black olives, and roasted red pepper
- Italian sausage and provolone cheese
- Cheddar cheese and deli ham or cooked bacon
- Cheddar cheese and broccoli
SERVE: You can keep the pepperoni stromboli out for two hours before it needs to be refrigerated.
STORE: Cover leftovers in foil or in a covered container and store them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
FREEZE: Once cooled, place in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag and freeze for 2-3 months.
Stromboli vs. Calzone
Although the two may look alike, they are not. Stromboli more closely resembles a sub sandwich than a calzone. Calzones have a wet filling comprised of a mixture of mozzarella and ricotta cheese. They can be baked or fried, and they’re always served with sauce on the side.
Alternatively, Stromboli is always baked, and the sauce is either cooked inside or served on the side (my personal preference) or not at all. Lastly, the main difference is where each originated. Calzones originated in Naples, Italy, during the 1700s, and Stromboli originated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- If you are using homemade pizza dough for this recipe, them make sure you let the dough rise first before proceeding with the stromboli recipe below.
- This recipe can be halved to serve 4 people.
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Next, place the stromboli on the baking sheet and bake until heated for about 15-20 minutes.
If the stromboli is already slices and not whole, then this will take anywhere from 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the slices.
Stromboli is on the heavier side to I like to serve a simple salad like this Italian salad along with it.
- kitchen scale
- parchment paper
- baking sheets
- pastry brush
- prep bowls
- wire rack
Side Dishes For Serving
- Panzanella Salad
- Tri-Color Pasta Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad
- Copycat Panera Mac and Cheese
- Italian Salad with Italian Salad Dressing
- Cold Italian Pasta Salad
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Garlic Cheese Breadsticks
- Cobb Salad
- Spinach Salad
- 8 ounces thinly sliced deli pepperoni
- 2 pound pizza dough ball
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil separated
- 3 cups shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese about 12 ounces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese finely grated (about 2 ounces)
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 ½ teaspoons sesame seeds
RENDER EXCESS FAT FROM THE PEPPERONI:
- Line a microwave-safe plate with 2 sheets of paper towel. Place a few slices of pepperoni on top to cover the plate. Cook on HIGH in a microwave for 30 seconds. Move pepperoni to a clean plate and discard paper towel. Repeat the process until all of the pepperonis are cooked.
PREPARE OVEN AND BAKING SHEETS:
- Move the oven racks to the upper middle and lower middle positions. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; set aside.
FILL AND PREP THE FOR BAKING:
- Lightly flour the counter and divide the dough ball into two 1-pound balls. Cover one dough ball with a clean kitchen towel while you fill and prep the other.
- Pat the pizza dough into a 12×10-inch rectangle. Brush the edges of the pizza dough with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sprinkle the dough with 1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella.
- Evenly distribute half of the pepperoni over the cheese.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cups of the Parmesan cheese over the pepperoni.
- Fold over 1 long side of the dough so that the edge meets in the center of the dough.
- Fold over the other long side of the dough and then pinch the seams shut.
- Place the stromboli on one of the prepared baking sheets, seam-side down.
- In a small bowl combine the egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Brush half of the egg mixture over the stromboli.
- Sprinkle the top with 3/4 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and place 5 deep slits into the top of the stromboli. Lightly spray a large piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover the stromboli loosely with the foil. Repeat steps 4-12 with remaining dough ball and ingredients.
- Bake the Strombolis for 25 minutes, and then remove the foil and rotate the pans. Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the crusts are golden.
- Transfer the strombolis to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, Cut each stromboli into 2-inch pieces and serve with pizza sauce for dipping.
- If you are using homemade pizza dough for this recipe, then make sure you let the dough rise first before proceeding with the stromboli recipe above.
- This recipe can be cut in half to serve 4 people.