Let me introduce you to Sloppy Joe’s leaner, healthier & sassier sister, Sloppy Jane. 🙂
To make this recipe leaner, healthier, and sassier than the original I substituted ground turkey for ground beef and added sliced mushrooms to “beef up” the volume of the dish without adding excess calories. I also added sassy ingredients like chili powder, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce to add delicious flavor. My favorite part of this meal? It’s quick and easy to prepare; from skillet to table it takes about 25 minutes.
Hungry for some more Quick & Easy Recipes? Click HERE!
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Pound ground turkey
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- Over medium heat, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, mushrooms, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft and the mushrooms have shrunk and released their moisture, about 8 minutes
- Add the garlic and chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground turkey and break up the meat using a wooden spoon. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until the ground turkey is just about cooked through.
- Stir in the pepper, brown sugar, tomato puree, ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens and it's no longer runny about 10 minutes. Serve immediately on hamburger buns.