These flavorful Creamed Pearl Onions are simmered in a silky cream sauce with a touch of nutmeg, bright chives, and a squeeze of lemon. They’re the perfect side dish for Spring or Easter dinner!
Easter is just 2 weeks away! In an effort to help you with your Easter dinner I will be bringing you a series of 3 side dish recipes and one glorious cake to help you with your Easter dinner preparations!
These Creamed Pearl Onions would go perfectly with anything you’re serving for Easter dinner whether it’s ham, chicken, lamb, or fish!
These Creamed Pearl onions aren’t just for Easter dinner, I’ve served them for Thanksgiving, Christmas, dinner parties, and weeknight dinners. They’re a fabulous side dish to have in your repertoire. As a matter of fact, my husband asks for these weekly, they’re definitely a family favorite…even my 5-year-old loves them!
Cook’s Note – Creamed Pearl Onions
- Do not thaw the onions before putting them in the pan, frozen peal onions is best.
- These are best made right before you serve them. I do not suggest making them in advance.
Creamed Pearl Onions
- 4 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch nutmeg
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat, bring onions, broth, thyme, and bay leaf to a boil. Reduce to medium and summer until liquid has evaporated, about 12-14 minutes.
- In a small bowl use a fork to combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon milk. To the pan add remaining milk, cream, cornstarch mixture, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and onions are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons chives, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer creamed pearl onions to serving bowl and sprinkle with remaining chives. Serve immediately.