This Chicken Divan Casserole recipe is made with chunks of chicken, broccoli, cheese, a creamy sauce, and breadcrumbs. It’s an easy and delicious weeknight meal.
This recipe makes four servings for $1.40 per serving for a total of $5.58 for the entire dish.
Casseroles are a great weeknight option for busy nights. For more delicious casseroles, I recommend this Chicken Enchilada Casserole, this Green Chile Cheesy Potato Casserole, and Cheesy Tex-Mex Tater Tot Casserole.
Chicken Divan Casserole
Chicken Divan casserole is comfort food at its best! This quick and easy casserole has layers of chicken and broccoli in a creamy sauce that is then topped with a crispy butter topping. Oh my!
The broccoli and chicken are pre-cooked before putting this casserole in the oven to bake, making it much quicker to cook. For extra flavorful chicken, I recommend using chicken from my Crockpot Whole Chicken recipe.
Combining the cheese, condensed soup, and mayo makes for a creamy sauce that your family is sure to love. This recipe will be a meal your family will request often. Make this easy Chicken Divan tonight, and come back to tell me in the comments how much your family loves it!
What does chicken divan mean?
Chicken Divan is a casserole made with chicken and broccoli in a creamy sauce. Its name comes from the place of its creation. It is known for being created in the Divan Parisien Restaurant in New York City in the early twentieth century.
How do you reheat Chicken Divan?
To reheat the entire casserole, cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until it is hot and bubbly. To reheat an individual serving, place it in the microwave for about 1 minute.
What sides go good with a chicken casserole?
The main dish is always the hard part when menu planning. The sides are easy! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Italian Salad
- Frog Eye Salad
- Three Bean Salad
- Food Truck Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Crescent Rolls
How to make this Chicken Divan Casserole recipe:
STEP ONE: First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Next, steam the broccoli for 3-5 minutes. Set the broccoli aside while you prepare the casserole mixture.
STEP THREE: Mix the condensed soup, mayo, black pepper, and onion powder. Fold in the chicken and broccoli.
STEP FOUR: Assemble the casserole by smoothing the mixture into an even layer. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top.
STEP FIVE: Finally, make the topping by mixing the bread crumbs and melted butter together. Spread this over the cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- 13×9-inch baking dish
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden mixing spoon
How much will this Chicken Divan recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $5.58
PER SERVING COST: $1.40
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 2 cups broccoli – $1.56
- 1 can chicken condensed soup – $0.50
- ½ cup sour cream – $0.72
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon onion powder – $0.01
- 3 cups cooked chicken – $1.80
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese – $0.64
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs – $0.44
- 2 Tablespoons butter – $0.20
How long is it good for?
SERVE: You can keep this casserole at room temperature for about 2 hours before it will need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2 days. Note that the breadcrumb topping won’t be as crisp.
FREEZE: Because of the sour cream in the Chicken Divan Casserole’s creamy filling, I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
More Quick and Easy Recipes:
- Easy Pasta Primavera
- Hawaiian Fried Rice
- Loaded Breakfast Sandwich
- Stovetop Chicken Souvlaki
- Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Tomato Basil Pasta
- Panera’s Mac and Cheese
- Baked Salmon
Chicken Divan Casserole
- 2 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 10.5 oz can chicken condensed soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups cooked chicken cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cups shredded cheddar cheese sharp, medium, or mild all work
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs or Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- Cooked rice or egg noodles
PREP OVEN AND BAKING DISH:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Steam broccoli for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly tender (it will continue cooking in the casserole). Drain.
MIX TOGETHER CASSEROLE:
- Mix condensed soup, mayonnaise (or sour cream), black pepper, and onion powder in a large bowl.
- Fold in chicken and broccoli.
- Pour chicken and broccoli mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth into an even layer.
- Evenly distribute shredded cheese over the top.
- In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and melted butter.
- Spread the topping over the cheese.
BAKE AND SERVE:
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve immediately with rice or egg noodles.
- Instead of cooked chicken you can use cooked turkey or pork.
- The nutrition information caluclated below is just for the casserole and not for noodles or rice that you serve with it.