THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
Delicious roll out Gingerbread Cookies with Orange Glaze. Grab the kids, because they will love making these cookies with you!
Disclosure: This shop and post for Gingerbread Cookies with Orange Glaze is a sponsored post. All opinions are mine alone.
The holidays with kids are SO. MUCH. FUN! It’s easy to get them excited about the joys of the season like gift giving, service, and spending time with loved ones. We have a couple of Christmas traditions at our house:
1- Purchase a few Christmas books to read together.
2- Make Christmas cutout cookies to give away.
My 4-year-old was thrilled when I came home with this adorable book about Snowby the Polar Bear. I think we’ve read it at least 10 times now.
I also picked up this Cookie Wonder Wheel that has 3 different cookie cutters attached to it: a mitten, elf hat, and an elf shoe. We’ve already made a batch of our favorite Gingerbread Cookies using this cookie cutter wheel.
Cook’s Note – Gingerbread Cookies with Orange Glaze:
- Cookies will keep covered at room temperature for up to 5 days. After 5 days they start to get a little stale.
- If you plan on freezing these, do not glaze them before freezing! Glaze them once they’re thawed, before serving or gifting. The unglazed cookies will keep in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
My kids had so much fun cutting out the cookies and then dipping them in the glaze. Even my 1-year-old got involved!
Gingerbread Cookies with Orange Glaze for Family Fun Night
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons orange juice
For the Gingerbread Cookies:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the molasses and egg and mix until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide the dough in two, form into disks, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill the dough for at least one hour before rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface to about ¼-inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Place cut out dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Orange Glaze:
- In a small bowl add the powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of orange juice. Mix with a fork until combined. Continue to add orange juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Place a wire rack over a cookie sheet; set aside. Pour the glaze into a shallow pie plate. Dip the cookies, face down, into the glaze. Let excess glaze drip off and then place the cookies onto the wire rack. Allow to dry at least 1 hour before serving. To speed up the process, pop them into the refrigerator and the glaze will set in about 20 minutes.