THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
These Butterfinger Scotcheroos are chewy, sticky, and so chocolatey. The addition of crushed Butterfingers makes them truly irresistible! Grab the kids, because they’ll love making these no-bake Chocolate Scotcheroos recipe with you!
During my freshman year of college, my roommates and neighbors would often make treats to share with each other. Scotcheroos were among some of our favorites because they’re the perfect combination of peanut butter, butterscotch, and chocolate.
Over the years I’ve adapted the classic Chocolate Scotcheroos recipe by adding 2 cups of crushed Butterfingers to the mixture. This makes them truly the BEST Scotcheroos recipe ever! The Butterfingers gives them that special touch that make them irresistible!
These are one of my kid’s favorite treats to make with me. They just love crushing up the Butterfinger candy bars for the recipe and smoothing the chocolate over the bars. Over the years we’ve experimented with a few different flavor combinations and below are some of our favorites! Just swap out the butterscotch chips for the chips below and the Butterfingers for the candy bars below.
Chocolate Scotcheroos Flavor Combinations:
- Peanut butter chips and chopped Snickers bars
- Peanut butter chips and Reese’s Pieces
- Milk chocolate chips and mini M&Ms
- Peanut butter Chips and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Skor or Heath Bar candy bars with butterscotch chips
How to Make Scotcheroos:
There are a lot of steps to this recipe, but everything is VERY simple to do. My 8-year-old practically makes these by herself!
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- Crush up the Butterfingers.
- Bring the sugar and corn syrup to a boil and then add in the peanut butter.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over Rice Krispies and stir until combined.
- Fold in Butterfinger pieces.
- Smooth the mixture into a greased pan.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together and pour them over the bars.
- Sprinkle with Butterfinger pieces and let the bars set.
- Slice and serve!
Cook’s Note – Butterfinger Scotcheroos:
- To speed up the setting process before cutting the bars, you can pop the scotcheroos into the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes to help them set faster.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Do not store them in the refrigerator, because they will dry out and become hard.
Cook’s Tools – Best Scotcheroos:
ONE YEAR AGO: Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
TWO YEARS AGO: Cream Cheese Pound Cake
THREE YEARS AGO: Tuscan Tortellini Bake
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 5 1.9 ounces Butterfinger candy bars
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
MAKE THE SCOTCHEROO BARS:
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside. In a large bowl add the Rice Krispies cereal and set aside.
- Unwrap the Butterfingers and place them in a gallon-size ziplock bag. Use the back of a metal spoon or ladle to crush up the candy bars into pieces. Pour the candy bar pieces into a measuring cup. You should have 2 cups of Butterfinger pieces; set aside.
- Place the sugar and corn syrup into a large saucepan set over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly with a rubber scraper until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to boil about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the peanut butter until combined.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the Rice Krispies and stir until the cereal is well coated.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of the Butterfinger pieces to the mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer.
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE-BUTTERSCOTCH TOPPING:
- Add the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips to a small microwave-proof bowl. Microwave at 50% power in 30-second increments until the chips are melted, stirring after every 30-seconds.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the Scotcheroo bars into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Butterfinger pieces over the chocolate.
- Let the Scotcheroos sit until they are firm, about 60-90 minutes. Cut into 24 squares and serve.