This Skinnier Tuscan Garlic Chicken Recipe is an Olive Garden copycat recipe made “skinnier” with fewer calories and fat.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento®. The opinions and text are all mine.
Are you a fan of the show Chopped? I love the show; it’s fun to watch the chefs come up with recipes from mystery ingredients. I’m so excited about this post because Sargento® challenged me to a Chopped challenge!
They gave me a list of ingredients to come up with my recipe:
- Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Red bell pepper
- Greek yogurt
When I was given the challenge and ingredients, I immediately thought of one of my favorite chicken dishes, Tuscan Garlic Chicken. The restaurant Olive Garden used to serve it, but they have taken it off of their menu. It’s a rich dish made with butter and cream.
To make this dish “skinny”, I substituted the butter and cream for Greek yogurt. Then I added a ton of flavor by using Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian.
Cook’s Note -Skinnier Tuscan Garlic Chicken Recipe:
- Once you add the Greek yogurt to the skillet in step 11, make sure you keep the heat on low and the mixture moving. If you don’t, you risk curdling the sauce, and no one wants that!
Skinnier Tuscan Garlic Chicken
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian plus more for garnish
- 1 pound fettuccine
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet by covering with foil and spraying lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano in a large freezer bag. Add the chicken and shake the bag until the chicken is well coated.
- In a large 12-inch skillet, heat 3 Tablespoons oil over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully place the breaded chicken in the oil and cook until each side is golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. (Note: You're not cooking the chicken all the way through.)
- Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
COOK THE PASTA:
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the fettuccine according to package instructions.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- Wipe the skillet with paper towels, and add 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Over medium heat cook the red pepper until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 1 Tablespoon of flour and stir the mixture constantly for one minute to cook the flour.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a light simmer. Stir constantly until it starts to thicken, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, milk, and cornstarch. Reduce the heat to low, and add the yogurt mixture and spinach to the skillet and stir to combine. Continue to cook over low heat until spinach starts to wilt. Stir in the Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian.
- Add a little more than half of the sauce to the cooked and drained fettuccine. Plate the fettuccine, and top with the chicken and spoon the rest of the sauce over the top. Garnish with more Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian.