Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies with M&Ms are buttery, and so delicious! They can be made anytime of the year or customized for holidays.
Buttery, tasty, and so fun! That’s how I describe the cookies. Grab the kids and have them hep you make these. My 5-year-old loved dumping the ingredients into the bowl, rolling the dough into a long “snake”, and of course pushing the M&Ms into the cookies.
These Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies would be perfect as Christmas cookies, too. Just use the holiday M&Ms. I know I’ll be making these again once the holidays roll around! My 5-year-old has already requested them for her lunch box when she goes to kindergarten in the fall!
Cook’s Note – Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- These cookies will keep, in an air-tight container at room temperature, for up to 1 week.
- You’ll need at least 1 hour to chill the cookie dough. I usually chill them over night, and bake them off the next day.
- This cookie dough freezes beautifully! You could break the cookie dough into 2 logs, each about 9 inches long by 2-inches in diameter. Bake one, and freeze the other! The dough will keep, wrapped in wax paper inside a Ziploc bag, for up to 3 months! Just pop the dough into the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight.
Cook’s Tools – Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 1¾ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M candies (optional)
- In a medium bow sift or whisk together the flour and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix on low until the dough forms. Pour in the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Place the dough into the middle of a sheet of wax paper (the sheet should be about 20 inches long). Roll the dough to form a long, even cylinder that is about 2 inches in diameter. Roll the wax paper around it and twist the sides closed. It will be about 18 inches long.
- Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hours (best if overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the log into ¼ inch slices. You should get about 30 cookies. Place the cookie dough slices on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing them apart about ¾ of an inch (they don't spread very much).
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove the cookies from the oven. Quickly place the M&M candies on top, nestling them lightly into the cookies. Return the pan to the oven and bake an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the edges just start to brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Other Favorite Cookie Recipes:
- Browned Butter Pretzel M&M Cookies
- Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies – Better than Lofthouse!
- Lemon White Chocolate Pudding Cookies
- Peanut Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies