The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies with M&Ms are buttery and so delicious! They can be made at any time of the year or customized for holidays. Plus it costs just .21¢ per cookie to make!
Buttery, tasty, and so fun! That’s how I describe these cookies. Grab the kids and have them help you make these. My 5-year-old loved dumping the ingredients into the bowl, rolling the dough into a long “snake”, and of course pushing the M&Ms into the cookies.
These Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies would be perfect as Christmas cookies, too. Just use holiday M&Ms. You could also do Halloween cookies with orange and black M&Ms. These cookies would also make a perfect dessert if you are hosting a party.
Did you know you can order M&Ms in any color? Check out the M&M website for all your color needs. The options are endless! I know I’ll be making these again once the holidays roll around! My 5-year-old has already requested them for her lunch box when he goes to kindergarten!
What other recipes use chocolate chips?
I love using chocolate chips. They make everything better. Want some peanut butter cookies? Add some chocolate chips and you now have over the top peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. One of my most favorite childhood traditions is my Mom making her Chocolate Chip Cake for every birthday celebration. It is basically a pound cake but the chocolate chips take it from ordinary to extraordinary. For a twist on a traditional pastry check out this Cannoli Ice Cream! It is the perfect dessert for any Cannoli lover!
Cook’s Note – Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- These cookies will keep, in an air-tight container at room temperature, for up to 1 week.
- You’ll need at least 1 hour to chill the cookie dough. I usually chill them overnight and bake them off the next day.
- This cookie dough freezes beautifully! You could break the cookie dough into 2 logs, each about 9 inches long by 2-inches in diameter. Bake one, and freeze the other! The dough will keep, wrapped in wax paper inside a Ziploc bag, for up to 3 months! Just pop the dough into the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight.
- Baking Sheet
- Wax Paper
- Silicone Baking Mat
- Parchment Paper
- Wire Cooling Rack
Estimated Recipe Cost:
RECIPE COST: $6.10
COST PER COOKIE: $0.21
- 1 3/4 cup flour – $0.34
- 1/4 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 12 Tablespoons butter – $1.20
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar – $0.12
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.68
- 10 ounces mini chocolate chips – $2.97
- 1 cup plain M&Ms – $0.78
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies with M&Ms
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 10 ounces mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M candies optional
- In a medium bow sift or whisk together the flour and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix on low until the dough forms.
- Pour in the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Place the dough into the middle of a sheet of wax paper (the sheet should be about 20 inches long). Roll the dough to form a long, even cylinder that is about 2 inches in diameter. Roll the wax paper around it and twist the sides closed. It will be about 18 inches long. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hours (best if overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the log into 1/4 inch slices. You should get about 30 cookies. Place the cookie dough slices on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing them apart about 3/4 of an inch (they don't spread very much).
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove the cookies from the oven. Quickly place the M&M candies on top, nestling them lightly into the cookies. Return the pan to the oven and bake an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the edges just start to brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Kelly @ TastingPage says
I can see how kids would not only love making this, but eating it as well! Yum!
My family would love these cookies. I like the tip about freezing them. I never think to freeze cookie dough, but it makes sense
Cindy @ Hun... What's for Dinner? says
How stinkin’ cute are these cookies? I am pinning them to try out when school is back in session.
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist says
Shortbread is my most favorite “cookie” I have never had chocolate chips in it. I am really intrigued.
These cookies look so pretty and colorful!
Chocolate is my middle name! How can I not like this one?
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche says
Oh wow these look YUMMY! Shortbread is one of my favourite things to make, it’s so easy! 🙂
Agreed! Thanks for stopping by. 🙂
I want to reach right in and grab all of these cookies, nicely done. They look great!!
Abigail (Manila Spoon) says
These are the kind of cookies my kids will go crazy for! I love shortbread cookies – I am a huge fan, too! Pinned.
Delicious and look so fun
Del's cooking twist says
Oh, they look so fun and delicious! I just love them!
These look and sound aaaahhhmazing! I will have to try it out this weekend. 🙂
They’re one of my favorite cookies. Enjoy! 🙂
john hutchens says
My kids will love helping to make these. We love cookies. Great project for the upcoming winter months
thank you for sharing
this going take for to bake bad it will be good
this look so good i want it
Fun cookies. My daughter loved them!
These little cookies were so good! I had planned to save some of the dough for later, but ended up baking it all right away!
Can never resist a good cookie! I only wish I still have one now to enjoy with my cup of coffee… oh well, just means I have to whip up another batch soon 🙂
These cookies are so freaking good, I keep making them over and over!
Yay, so glad they were a hit for you!
Veena Azmanov says
I would love to make this for my kids Birthday parties. Looks so colorful and cute. Yummy for sure.
Jillian as always you have the most yummy delicious recipes! Love shortbread and these just made the list! Who doesn’t love this combination!!