The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Cinnamon Crumb Cake recipe is a breakfast classic. It has a rich, buttery, and tender cake crumb and a cinnamon crumb topping that is irresistible.
This East Coast girl loves a big piece of classic New York Style Crumb Cake, which I can make at home for about $3.70. This recipe serves 12, which works would to just $0.31 per serving. Try finding it for that price in your favorite bakery!
Cake for breakfast is never a bad idea. For more recipe ideas to go along with this theme, check out this Almond Coffee Cake Ring and these Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes.
Cinnamon Crumb Cake
A buttery, sweet, and moist cake with a soft brown sugar-cinnamon topping that melts right into the cake is the best way to describe this cake.
This recipe makes the most tender cake I have ever tasted. I adapted the recipe from America’s Test Kitchen, and it is terrific. It rates leaps and bounds above any store-bought crumb cake out there.
The big crumbs on top of the cake are almost as thick as the actual cake underneath the topping! This will easily serve a crowd for breakfast or as an option for a brunch, baby shower, bridal shower, or even an afternoon snack.
Any excuse is a good excuse to serve this New York Style Crumb Cake!
Is crumb cake and coffee cake the same?
While both are delicious and very similar in ingredients and texture, there is one key difference. Coffee cakes have less streusel topping and more cake. Crumb cakes are known for having a thicker layer of crumb topping.
How long is crumb cake good for?
This crumb cake will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days. You can also freeze this cake for up to three months. I like to freeze in individual serving sizes to pull out for a quick breakfast.
Why did my crumb topping sink?
The secret in this cake is in the topping. To prevent the crumbs from sinking into the cake batter while it is baking, start spreading the crumbs along the pan’s outer edges and slowly work your way to the center. The crumbs will be evenly distributed across the top of the cake and will yield a perfect crumble topping every single time.
How to make New York Style Crumb Cake:
STEP ONE: First, make the topping. After finishing, set it aside to cool to room temperature.
STEP TWO: Next, prepare to make the cake. Preheat the oven as well as prep the baking dish.
STEP THREE: Using a stand mixer, make the batter. Evenly spread the batter into the baking dish.
STEP FOUR: Lastly, break apart the crumb topping into large pea-sized pieces and spread evenly over the batter. Bake for about 35-40 minutes. After it has cooled, dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving.
- You can add pecans, walnuts, and almonds to the crumb topping for an added crunch.
- This NY Crumb Cake recipe calls for cake flour and buttermilk. If you don’t have any, you should check out my cake flour substitute recipe and my buttermilk substitute recipe.
How much will this Cinnamon Crumb Cake Recipe Cost to Make:
RECIPE COST: $3.69
PER SERVING COST: $0.31
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- ⅓ & ½ cup granulated sugar – $0.23
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar – $0.16
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon – $0.01
- 14 Tablespoons salted butter – $1.40
- 3 cups cake flour – $1.23
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda – $0.01
- 1 large egg – $0.10
- 1 large egg yolk – $0.05
- ⅓ cup buttermilk – $0.19
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.31
- Stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 8-inch baking dish
How Long is it Good For:
SERVE AND STORE: You can keep this in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
FREEZE: Wrap the cinnamon crumb cake in two layers of plastic wrap, two layers of foil, and then place it in a Ziploc bag. Stored this way, it will keep for 6-9 months. When ready, defrost it at room temperature for a few hours.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Loaded Breakfast Sandwich
- Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes
- Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Sticky Buns with Bacon and Caramel Glaze
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Sausage Cream Cheese Balls
- Green Chile Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Easy Broccoli Quiche
- Blueberry Scones
- Breakfast Burritos
- Sherry, Ham and Cheese Brunch Bake
- Vanilla Dutch Baby Pancake
- Chocolate Babka Bread
- Pumpkin Pecan Pie Monkey Bread
Cinnamon Crumb Cake
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup salted butter melted and still warm
- 1 ¾ cup cake flour
- 1 ¼ cup cake flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter cut into 6 pieces, softened but still cool
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
MAKE CRUMB TOPPING:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter.
- Use a rubber scraper or wooden spoon to mix in cake flour.
PREP THE OVEN AND PAN:
- Move the oven rack to the upper-middle positions and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the pan with foil or parchment paper, leaving an overhang on 2 sides.
MAKE THE CAKE BATTER:
- In a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add flour, sugar, and baking powder to the work bowl and mix on low.
- With the mixer running, add a couple of butter pieces at a time and mix until the mixture looks like moist crumbs, about 1-2 minutes.
- Turn the mixer off, and add in eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat on low until combined, and then increase the mixer to medium-high and beat until the batter is fluffy, about 1 minute.
ASSEMBLE CRUMB CAKE:
- Spread the cake batter in an even layer into the prepared pan.
- Crumble to crumb topping in your hands and spread the topping over the cake batter into an even layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crumb topping is golden and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
- Using the parchment or foil overhang, lift the crumb cake from the pan.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the cake.
- Slice and serve.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
This cake was a HIT in our family! We LOVE cinnamon, and the sweet cinnamon topping was irresistible! And the cake was tender and moist. Thank you so much for sharing!
I’ve been searching for a recipe to use up the last of my cake flour and this is it! Bring on the cinnamon sugar goodness! So excited for this crumb cake!
Thank you so much for the cake flour tip….i always need a substitute for something. This is going to be a big help to me…
You’re welcome, enjoy. 🙂