|I love the organic shapes the rolls form into.|
|My favorite one; it sort of looks like a rose.|
Cook’s Note – Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes:
- This recipe can be made ahead of time. Prepare the cinnamon roll cupcakes recipe up to STEP 6. Place the dough into the muffin tin and cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Chill overnight. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and let the dough come to room temperature for 20 minutes. Then continue with STEP 8.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast or 1 packet
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar divided
- 1 cup warm milk approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl add the yeast, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and warm milk. Whisk until the yeast and sugar have dissolved.Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes. At the end of 10 minutes it should be nice and foamy.
- To the bowl add in the remaining sugar, eggs, butter, and salt. Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, and mix until well blended. Repeat with the remaining flour and mix until the dough forms into a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead about 2 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and rise in a warm place until doubled in size, this should take about an hour.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners, and lightly spray over the top of them and the pan with cooking spray.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 12×24-inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Start with the long side furthest way from you, and roll the dough towards you. Cut the rolled dough into 24 rolls using dental floss or a pastry cutter.
- Place each roll in a cupcake liner. Cover with a piece of lightly greased plastic wrap and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- While the dough rises, move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place both muffin tins on the middle oven rack and bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Let rolls cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, Using hand beaters or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix cream cheese and butter on medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add the powdered sugar until desired consistency has been reached.
- Frost the cinnamon rolls and serve!