You can easily make a cake flour substitute at home! All that you need is just two ingredients: all-purpose flour and cornstarch. I make multiple batches of this recipe and store it in an airtight container in the pantry.
Have you ever had a recipe you really wanted to make and as you’re scanning the ingredients list you realize you have everything except for one ingredient? Yeah, that happens to me, too. And it’s usually a yummy dessert that requires cake flour. Well, today I have a money saving fix for you; a cake flour substitute recipe.
What is cake flour?
Cake flour is a flour that is most comonly used in cakes (hense the name) and it produces a lighter, finer, more softer texture to the cake. It’s made from bleached soft winter wheat that is very finely milled. It has less protein content than all-purpose flour making the flour less dense.
There’s no need to buy it at the supermarket, you can totally make your own cake flour!
How to Make Cake Flour Substitute:
Set a medium fine mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Measure out 1 cup of flour and remove 2 Tablespoons of the flour.
Place the flour in the sifter and add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch.
Sift and voilà, you have 1 cup of cake flour ready for your recipe!
Cook’s Note – Homemade Cake Flour Substitute:
- If you’re making a large batch of cake flour to store I suggest sifting the ingredients 3 times before storing in an air-tight container. This will ensure the cornflour is evenly distributed throughout the flour.
- The sifter that I use serves double duty as a strainer as well and comes in a set of 3 of varying sizes all for about $13. Here’s the set I have.
- Arrowroot powder can be used in place of cornstarch in the recipe below.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Cook’s Tools – Cake Flour Substitute Recipe:
Cake Flour Substitute Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Set a fine mesh sifter over a medium bowl. Measure out 1 cup of flour and remove 2 Tablespoons of the flour.
- Place the flour in the sifter and add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch.
- Sift and voilа, you have 1 cup of cake flour ready for your recipe!