This Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough recipe is an easy recipe to satisfy any sweet tooth. It’s a food-safe recipe made with heat-treated flour and without eggs.
This recipe makes five servings for $0.93 per serving. It costs $4.65 to make the entire recipe.
I love cookie dough in all shapes, forms, and sizes. Recipes like this Cookie Dough Ice Cream, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles, and of course, this Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough are among my favorites.
Edible Cookie Dough
I have to admit that I love sneaking a bite or two of cookie dough when making cookies only to feel guilty because I know I shouldn’t do that. But sometimes, I prefer the raw cookie dough over the actual cookie!
Well, now I can indulge in cookie dough without the worry. This edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is an easy recipe without eggs and heat-treated flour to kill any bacteria. The sweet dough combined with the chocolate chips is the perfect treat anytime you need a little pick me up.
I love to freeze the cookie dough and eat it cold. This Chocolate Chip Edible Cookie Dough is also a perfect topping on ice cream, brownies, cupcakes, or to dip graham crackers into. One bite of it, and you too will not be able to resist it!
INGREDIENTS AND COST
Per Serving Cost: $0.93
Recipe Cost: $4.65
- 2 cups all-purpose flour – $0.38
- 1 cup unsalted butter – $1.60
- 1 cup white granulated sugar – $0.22
- ½ cup light brown sugar – $0.22
- ¼ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 4 Tablespoons milk – $0.04
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.68
- 1 cup chocolate chips – $1.49
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, spread the flour out onto the baking sheet and bake for ten minutes.
- After baking, set the baking sheet on a wire rack to allow the flour to cool completely.
- While the flour is cooling, use a handheld mixer to mix together the butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Then beat in the flour until combined.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips before serving.
***For complete instructions see the recipe card below.
- Instead of chocolate chips you can use M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, mini peanut butter cups, peanut butter chips, etc.
SERVE: Serve immediately or transfer the edible cookie dough to an airtight container and chill until ready to eat.
STORE: Store chocolate chip edible cookie dough in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. It will stiffen in the fridge, so let it sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving to soften.
FREEZE: Place the cookie dough in a freezer-safe container and freeze for 5-6 months.
DEFROST: Defrost the cookie dough in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
- Baking sheet
- Wire rack
- Mixing bowl
- Handheld mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rubber scraper
The two recipes are incredibly similar, and the process for creaming the ingredients together and then adding in the flour and chocolate chips is the same. However, the significant difference is that edible cookie dough has no eggs and uses heat-treated flour to avoid any bacteria in the recipe, making it safe to eat without first cooking the dough as you would for a standard cookie dough recipe.
Straight from the bag, flour can contain bacteria unsafe for consumption if not baked. The bacteria are typically killed when flour is baked in the oven within any given recipe. Because edible cookie dough is a no-bake recipe, it is necessary to first cook the flour for ten minutes at 350 degrees F to ensure the bacteria is killed before adding the flour to the dough for consumption.
While you can shape the dough into balls and then bake to make cookies, they will not turn out as nice as regular cookies will. This is because this recipe has no leavening agent or eggs, so they will not bake as well. If you want a great-tasting cookie, I recommend The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe and stick to this recipe when you are craving cookie dough!
MORE NO-BAKE DESSERTS
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake
- Strawberry Lasagna
- Birthday Rice Krispies Treats
- Raspberry Sorbet
- Lucky Charms Treats
- Decadent Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
- Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
- 3-Ingredient Fudge
- Reese’s Rice Krispie Treats
Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Recipe
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
PREP OVEN AND BAKING SHEET:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
BAKE AND COOL FLOUR:
- Spread the flour out onto the parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Move the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool the flour completely.
MAKE EDIBLE COOKIE DOUGH:
- Use a handheld mixer to cream together the butter, brown sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt.
- Beat in the flour until no flour streaks remain.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Serve immediately or transfer the edible cookie dough to an airtight container and chill until ready to eat.
- Store Edible Cookie Dough in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- It will stiffen in the fridge, so let it sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving to soften.