The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This homemade Rice Krispie Treats recipe is the best and made with a secret ingredient! This recipe serves 24 and costs just 48¢ per serving!
When you google Rice Krispie Treats or search for them on Pinterest, there are TONS of results. 5,000,000+ on Google alone!! So why would I want to share my recipe with you when the Internet is already flooded with recipes for Rice Krispie Treats? I’ll tell you why!
I’ve spent months testing my recipe and the published recipe below is the best!
In my book, homemade Rice Krispie Treats are literally the only way to go. You just cannot go wrong with my recipe. These are thick, substantial treats packed with melted marshmallows, marshmallow creme, and double the amount of Rice Krispies in the original recipe.
My love affair with these treats began when I was young. My grandma would make them for every family gathering: birthdays, holidays, and dinners. They were a staple, and we looked forward to them every time!
Whether you make these for a potluck, birthday treats, after-school snack, or for no reason at all other than to have a bite of an ooey-gooey marshmallow buttery treat, then this recipe will not disappoint!
Why are my Rice Krispie Treats so hard?
Rice Krispies usually get hard due to high heat during the melting process of the butter and marshmallows. You might be tempted to turn up the heat in order to speed up the melting process, but DON’T RUSH THIS PROCESS. It will be well worth the few extra minutes to melt the butter and marshmallows over low heat.
How long does Rice Crispy Treats stay fresh?
There is no need to refrigerate the treats. Just store them in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to 3 days. Although they never last that long in my house!
How do you harden Rice Crispy Treats?
Are your treats too gooey? The quickest way to harden your Rice Krispie treats is to place them in the fridge. Let them chill for about an hour. This will give them time to harden, allowing you to easily cut them into squares or designs with a cookie cutter.
How to make Rice Krispie Treats:
- First, line a 13×9-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil edges over the pan. Then spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, in a large pot, melt butter over low heat. Then add the marshmallows and constantly stir until melted.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the marshmallow fluff and vanilla. Then stir in the Rice Krispies until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Finally, pour the mixture into the prepared pan and use wax paper over the top to press firmly into the pan. Let the treats cool before cutting and serving.
- This recipe makes a ton! 24 servings, to be exact. This large recipe is great for potlucks, bake sales, and large gatherings. But if you’d like a smaller batch, you can cut the recipe in half and use an 8 or 9-inch square pan.
- These will keep in an air-tight container for 3 days. Don’t put them in the refrigerator because they will turn hard. The same goes for the freezer.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
RECIPE COST: $11.41
PER SERVING COST: $0.48
NOTE: The recipe prices are used calculating name-brand products from Walmart’s website. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what your pantry is already stocked with and current grocery prices.
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter – $0.60
- 16-ounce package of mini marshmallows – $2.27
- (3) 7-ounce jars of marshmallow fluff or creme – $3.66
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract – $0.68
- 15 cups Rice Krispies cereal – $4.20
More Desserts Recipes:
- Buckeye Brownies
- Copycat Brownie Brittle
- Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Browned Butter and M&M Pretzel Cookies
- Dipped Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Homemade Caramel Corn
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Snickers Cheesecake Brownies
- Fruit Pizza
Rice Krispies Treats
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter or vegetable oil
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows
- 3 (7 ounce) jars marshmallow fluff or creme
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 15 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with heavy-duty foil, extending foil over the edge on all sides. Lightly spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a very large pot or Dutch oven melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows; stir constantly and cook until melted.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in marshmallow creme and vanilla.
- Gently stir in Rice Krispies with a rubber scraper until cereal is evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and use wax paper over the top to press mixture firmly into pan. Let the treats set for 1 hour.
- Using foil liner, lift treats from pan. Cut into 24 bars and serve.