The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
My family has been making Mom’s Zucchini Bread recipe for decades because it’s simply the best EVER! It’s packed with more zucchini than most loaves without being heavy. Plus, get the answers to the top 12 most asked zucchini bread questions!
For another no-yeast bread recipe try my recipe for America’s Test Kitchen Banana Bread.
Disclosure: This post for Mom’s Best Zucchini Bread Recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running.
One of my all-time favorite treats to make during the summer is this Zucchini Bread recipe. It’s the best way I know how to use up fresh in-season zucchini. Plus, everyone loves this bread!
I’ve sampled many zucchini bread recipes, and I can honestly say this one is the best ever! But what exactly makes this the best Zucchini Bread recipe? Well, it’s all about HOW you prepare the zucchini.
My Secret Zucchini Method:
Alright, folks, I’m about to share my secret method for packing MORE zucchini into bread cakes, quiche, whatever! Are you ready? Here it is:
The zucchini must be grated, and you have to wring at least 1/3 cup of excess moisture from the zucchini. This allows you to pack in more zucchini without making your loaves gummy!
Like I said, I’ve been making this zucchini bread recipe for decades. Over the years. Here are the answers to some common zucchini bread recipe questions.
I’ve found that in order to get the perfect loaf, you need to keep these 12 things in mind:
12 Most-Asked Zucchini Bread Questions Answered
Do you have to peel zucchini for zucchini bread?
Peeling the zucchini is an unnecessary step, plus the skin is a more concentrated source of nutrients.
What size zucchini should you use for zucchini bread?
Any size except for the humongous ones. Here’s why: Humongous zucchini isn’t as tender, and it will be a pain to grate. Plus, they can sometimes be a bit on the starchy side.
Can you use frozen shredded zucchini for zucchini bread?
Yes! Just make sure it’s defrosted.
I actually like using defrosted zucchini better than fresh, because it’s easier to wring of excess liquid (see the recipe below).
What type of flour should you use for zucchini bread?
Use both whole wheat and all-purpose flour.
I like using a little whole wheat flour to add a nuttiness to the bread, but don’t use all whole wheat flour, it will make your loaf too dense and more likely to sink in the middle.
Why are the edges of my zucchini bread hard or crunchy?
You left them in the pan too long.
Zucchini bread should stay in the pans for a maximum of 15 minutes. If you leave them in longer, then you risk the edges becoming hard by staying in the still-hot pans for too long.
Why did my zucchini bread sink in the middle?
Simply, you over-mixed.
Over-mixing zucchini bread activates the gluten which makes the loaf dense, and then it has the tendency to sink in the middle.
How long does zucchini bread need to cool for?
At least 2 hours.
Zucchini bread needs to cool completely before slicing into it—I know, such a hard task when its delectable aromas are wafting through the house!
What kind of nuts can you use for zucchini bread?
Walnuts or pecans.
I find that walnuts taste the best but whichever nut you use; they MUST be toasted! This heightens their flavor in the bread, and helps to produce a stellar loaf!
Can you freeze zucchini bread?
Simply wrap each loaf in plastic wrap followed by foil, and then place them in gallon-sized Ziploc bags.
What is the recipe for zucchini bread?
I have the best one ever down below!
It’s my family recipe that we’ve been making for decades. It also looks fancy enough to gift or sell at a bake sale because of the sprinkling of my favorite white sparkling sugar to each loaf (I just love the stuff!).
How long does it take to bake zucchini bread?
Baking times depend on your pan size.
For 9-inch loaves between 55-65 minutes. Mini loaves need to bake between 30-40 minutes. Muffins need to bake between 15-20 minutes.
How do I make my zucchini bread more moist?
Squeeze out some of the moisture from the grated zucchini and replace it with sour cream! Believe it or not, the liquid found in zucchini can make loaves dense because of its starch content. That’s why I like to wring my shredded zucchini and replace that moisture and oil in the recipe with sour cream. Just follow my recipe below and you’ll be making the perfect loaf in no time!
Cook’s Tools and Ingredients- Zucchini Bread:
ONE YEAR AGO: Garden Bean Salad
TWO YEARS AGO: S’mores Snack Mix
THREE YEARS AGO: Holy Cannoli Ice Cream
Mom’s Zucchini Bread Recipe – plus the most asked questions answered!
- 2 pounds zucchini
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ Tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons white sparkling sugar or granulated sugar optional
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 9-inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Rinse and dry zucchini, and then shred using box grater. Place shredded zucchini in middle of clean kitchen towel, and bring up the corners of the towel. Squeeze zucchini over measuring cup until it releases at least 1/3 cup of liquid (1/2 cup is better if your hands can handle all that wringing). Set zucchini aside until ready to use.
- In large bowl whisk together flours, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- In medium bowl whisk together eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream, and vanilla. Pour mixture into dry ingredient and stir with wooden spoon until just moistened. Fold in zucchini and walnuts.
- Split batter between prepared loaf pans, and smooth into even layer. Sprinkle each loaf pan with 1 Tablespoon white sparkling sugar or granulated sugar.
- Bake 55-65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Move bread to wire rack and cool in pans 15 minutes. Then remove from pans and cool on wire rack until completely cool, about 2-3 hours.
Wondering how to make zucchini cake? Then check out my favorite Zucchini Cake Recipe!