This Cheesy Zucchini Quiche is just the summer dinner recipe to make with fresh, in-season zucchini! Serve it warm or at room temperature for a cool summer supper!
Disclosure: This post for Cheesy Zucchini Quiche Recipe with Basil includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running.
In my kitchen, quiche, pasta salads, and entrée salads are on constant repeat during the summer. I love quiche during the summer because they’re easy to whip together, and I can make them in the morning when my kitchen is much cooler. Also, they can be served warm or at room temperature. This means no heating up the kitchen during the hottest part of the day, and more pool time for the kids and I!
If you’re looking for more quiche recipes, then check out my Broccoli Quiche, and Ham and Cheddar Quiche recipes. Also, try serving this quiche with my Confetti Corn Salad or Garden Bean Salad for a complete meal!
Cook’s Note – Cheesy Zucchini Quiche:
- Nobody like a soggy quiche, right? That’s why it’s crucial you cook out most of the liquid from the zucchini before adding it to the custard filling.
- This quiche will keep chilled and covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just reheat before serving!
- Freezer Directions: Wrap cooked and cooled quiche in 2 layers of foil, and slide quiche into freezer zip-top bag. Do not thaw the quiche before reheating, rather remove the foil and reheat in a 350 degree F oven for about 20-25 minute, or until the quiche is heated through.
Cook’s Tools – Cheesy Zucchini Quiche:
ONE YEAR AGO: Avocado Strawberry Spinach Wraps
TWO YEARS AGO: Homemade Cracker Jacks
THREE YEARS AGO: S’mores Cookie Pizza
Cheesy Zucchini Quiche with Basil
- ZUCCHINI FILLING:
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small zucchinis washed and grated
- 1 large shallot diced small
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 8 ounce deep-dish frozen pie shell, thawed (I like Marie Callender’s the best)
- Move oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- MAKE ZUCCHINI FILLING: In large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add zucchini, shallot, garlic, and salt and cook, covered, until onions are tender and zucchinis have released their liquid, about 7 minutes. Uncover and cook until bottom of pan is dry, stirring often, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer zucchini filling to medium bowl, toss with basil and flour and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- MAKE CUSTARD: In large bowl whisk together eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Fold in zucchini filling and fontina and Parmesan cheeses. Place unbaked pie crust on top of baking sheet, and pour mixture into unbaked pie crust.
- BAKE QUICHE: Bake until quiche is set and crust is golden brown, about 34-38 minutes. Cool on wire rack 20 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Country. Cook’s Country