These Bread Bowls made from frozen bread dough are really simple to make. Sometimes you just don’t have time to make homemade dough, and that’s where this method comes in!
Whoever came up with the idea of Bread Bowls deserves a place in a culinary hall of fame! Beautiful and practical, these turn your favorite wintertime soup into a fun dining experience! This recipe is made with white bread dough, but feel free to mix and match dough types to complement your soup.
The key with these Bread Bowls is to plan ahead! These bread bowls take very little active prep time, but overall take about 4-7 hours, depending on your dough thawing method. Let me show you how to make bread bowls from frozen bread dough!
HOW TO MAKE BREAD BOWLS FROM FROZEN DOUGH:
First, loosely cover the dough with plastic wrap, and thaw the dough overnight in the refrigerator, or on the counter for about 5-6 hours. The dough should be thawed but still cold. (I personally like thawing the dough overnight in the refrigerator because it’s easier for me.)
Next, shape each 1-pound chunk of dough into 3 equal balls, and space them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet or on a silicone nonstick mat as I did.
Then, brush each dough ball with the beaten egg.
Next, lightly grease the plastic wrap and place loosely over the dough balls.
Let dough rise until doubled in size, and remove the plastic wrap.
Then, bake until golden-brown.
Next, cool dough until warm. Then cut off the top of each bread bowl by placing your knife at a 45-degree angle while you cut.
Cut all the way around, and gently twist the cut bread off.
Then, use your fingers to gently compress the sides and bottoms of the bread bowls to create a larger well.
Finally, fill with your favorite soup, and enjoy!
Cook’s Note – Bread Bowls from Frozen Dough:
- These bread bowls will keep, in an air-tight container, for up to 3 days. You may need to soften them by heating them for about 20 seconds in the microwave.
- You will have some extra egg leftover after brushing the dough balls. If you double this recipe, DO NOT double the beaten egg! 1 egg is enough to brush 6 dough balls.
- The soup in these bowls is my Creamy Vegetable Medley Soup.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
ONE YEAR AGO: Citrus Cream Pasta
TWO YEARS AGO: Restaurant-Style Black Bean Soup
THREE YEARS AGO: Sausage and Peppers Sloppy Joes
Bread Bowls from Frozen Dough
- 1 pound frozen bread dough thawed but still cold
- 1 large egg beaten
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Slice thawed dough into 3 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a tight ball.
- Place dough balls 4-inches apart on prepared baking sheet, and brush with egg. Spray large piece of plastic wrap with nonstick cooking spray, and lightly cover plastic rap over dough. Let dough rise in warm place until double in size, about 2-3 hours.
- Carefully remove plastic wrap and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool bread on wire rack until just warm.
- With knife at an angle, slice top off bread. Compress sides and bottom of bread to form a well. Fill with your favorite soup, stew, chili, or dip. Serve.
Soup Recipes Perfect for Bread Bowls:
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe - August 19, 2019
- How to Reheat Quiche Tutorial - August 17, 2019
- Easy Broccoli Quiche Recipe – less than $5.00 to make! - August 17, 2019