This Patriotic Tunnel Cake is a quick and easy dessert for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, or anytime! It’s filled with fresh whipped cream, strawberries, and blueberries!
The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays; parades, family, friends, fireworks, and food…you can’t forget the food! With the 4th of July a little over 3 weeks away I’ve teamed up with the top food, DIY, and craft bloggers to bring you the #ultimateredwhiteandblue roundup. For the roundup, I’m sharing my easy Patriotic Tunnel Cake that will help make party prep a snap.
My parents know how to throw a mean 4th of July party. Growing up their parties were filled with family, friends, volleyball, croquet, water balloon tosses, watermelon seed spitting contests, and awesome food. I remember my mom always had a game plan where most of her prep work was done the night before so she could enjoy the party. This is a cake I could see her making, it’s semi-homemade, quick & easy, and super delicious.
Cook’s Note – Patriotic Cake:
- The frosting on the cake will start to melt if left out for more than 2 hours, less if in the heat. So keep it in the fridge until just before serving.
- This cake comes together in a snap, see the how-to picture below.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
Cook’s Tools – Patriotic Tunnel Cake:
More Patriotic Recipes:
Make your Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day barbecues more patriotic with easy recipes like this Patriotic Tunnel Cake. I also like to whip up this super easy Fruit “Spangled” Cheesecake Dip for the dessert table. It’s always a hit, and folks will be following you around the party asking for the recipe! Grab the kids, because they will LOVE making this Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake with you! Put fresh, in-season berries to use with these Patriotic Chocolate Covered Strawberries.
Patriotic Tunnel Cake
- 1 store-bought or prepared angel food cake about 10-inches
Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
Filling & Garnish
- ½ cup chopped strawberries plus more for garnish
- ½ cup blueberries plus more for garnish
- Using a serrated knife cut off the top 1 inch of cake crosswise; set aside (see picture above).
- Using a paring knife, cut all around the cake 1 inch from the inner edge. DO NOT cut all the way through the bottom, leaving a 1-inch-thick cake base on the bottom. Repeat and cut 1 inch from the outer edge.
- Remove the cake from the cut cake ring, leaving about a 1-inch base at the bottom.
For the Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the whipping cream and vanilla, whip on medium-high until stiff peaks form, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Using the same stand mixer bowl, add the cream cheese and powdered sugar and mix on medium speed until smooth and cream, about 2 minutes. Fold in the whipped cream until combined.
- In a small bowl add 1 cup of the Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting. Fold in the berries and fill the cake cavity.
- Add the cake top back on and frost the entire cake with the remaining frosting and garnish with reserved berries.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Now that you’ve checked out my wicked easy Patriotic Cake, go check out what other awesome food bloggers, DIY bloggers, and craft bloggers have created for the Red, White, and Blue Roundup.
Three Cheers for the Red, White, and Blue Roundup
Red, White, and Blue Pinterest Board
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe - August 19, 2019
- How to Reheat Quiche Tutorial - August 17, 2019
- Easy Broccoli Quiche Recipe – less than $5.00 to make! - August 17, 2019