The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Smoked Chicken Drumsticks or chicken legs are an easy, economical smoker recipe perfect for beginners. They’re tasty, ready in 70 minutes, and always a crowd-pleaser.
This recipe costs about $5.35 to make eight servings. That is approximately $0.66 per serving.
These Smoked Chicken Drumsticks go well with most side dishes. Some of my favorites include this Avocado Potato Salad with Bacon, Instant Pot Velveeta Mac and Cheese, Tri-Color Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing, and these Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans.
Smoked Chicken Legs
We all know that grilling during the summertime is an absolute must. But, cooking your meat on a smoker grill takes your grilled meats to the next level.
The smoky flavor is unbeatable. If you are new to a smoker grill, these Smoked Chicken Drumsticks are a great recipe to start with.
With a simple dry rub and just sixty minutes of cooking time, these drumsticks are a fool-proof, classic recipe to master quickly. If you are a master at the Traeger, these Smoked Chicken Drumsticks are a great recipe to throw on the smoker grill when you are short on time, have a last-minute BBQ, or want an easy weekend dinner.
The sweet rub has a touch of spice that produces a flavorful piece of chicken. Seasoning is key with this recipe! Dip them in this Alabama White Sauce and this Texas BBQ Sauce (recipe coming soon).
Follow my step-by-step directions to make these juicy and tender Chicken Drumsticks that are smoked to perfection.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.66
Recipe Cost: $5.35
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks – $2.96
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil – $0.28
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar – $0.11
- 2 Tablespoons coarse sea salt – $0.24
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika – $1.45
- ½ Tablespoons cracked black pepper – $0.11
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin – $0.06
- 2 teaspoons onion powder – $0.06
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder – $0.06
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper – $0.02
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Smoked Chicken Legs
- First, preheat the smoker to 180 degrees F.
- Next, mix together the brown sugar, sea salt, paprika, black pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper in a small mixing bowl.
- Then, pat the drumsticks dry with paper towels and coat them with olive oil.
- Then coat them in the chicken rub.
- Place the drumsticks on the grill grates and smoke for thirty minutes.
- Finally, increase the grill temperature to 375 degrees F and cook for another twenty to thirty minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F before serving.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Instead of dark brown sugar, you can use light brown sugar.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
SERVE: You can keep the drumsticks at room temperature for about 2 hours before they will need to be refrigerated.
STORE: The chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
FREEZE: You can freeze these drumsticks. Once cooled, store them in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 2 months.
It will take about one hour to smoke these chicken drumsticks. First, cook the drumsticks at a temperature of 180 degrees F for thirty minutes. Then, increase the temperature to 375 degrees F and cook for another twenty to thirty minutes.
The USDA states that chicken is safe to eat when cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
More Grilling Recipes
- Smoked Chili
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Smoked Lobster Tails
- Smoked Chuck Roast
- Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Smoked Burgers
- Italian Sausage Burgers
- Gas Grill Chicken Breasts
- Buttery Smoked Corn on the Cob
- Smoked Bologna Recipe
Smoked Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks about 8-10 drumsticks
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
CHICKEN RUB: **see notes
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 Tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ Tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat smoker to 180°F.
- Combine the chicken rub in a small bowl.
- Pat the drumsticks dry with paper towels.
- Coat the drumsticks with olive oil and season generously with the chicken rub.
SMOKE THE CHICKEN:
- Lay the drumsticks directly on the grill grates and smoke for 30 minutes with the lid closed.
- Increase the grill temperature to 375° F and cook for another 20-30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the drumsticks reaches 165° F.
- Serve immediately.
- The chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Smoked Chicken Rub: this recipe will make enough for 2 chicken recipes. Reserve remaining rub in an airtight container.
- Wood Pellet Choices: Signature Blend, Apple, Pecan, Cherry
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Suja md says
We really like this recipe. Never knew it was this easy to make. Will be trying without further delay!
Amanda Wren-Grimwood says
I love smoked chicken and I love all the flavours in this rub. Perfect for summer eating.
Mmmm I loved smoked chicken. This is perfect!
Jacqueline Debono says
We don’t have a smoker yet, but I’ve been researching buying one and saving recipes to make with it. This smoked chicken drumsticks sounds like a winner, easy and delicious!
The spice rub looks delicious. We haven’t tried smoking on our grill yet but the season is really just starting here! I will bookmark this recipe to give it a try 🙂