Grill something different with these Italian Sausage Burgers! They’re loaded with roasted red bell peppers, pepper rings, and fresh basil.
This recipe costs about $17.03 to make. It serves four people and costs about $4.26 per serving.
It’s grilling season! One of the best seasons, in my opinion. Father’s Day is right around the corner, and it’s the perfect excuse (as if you needed one) to fire up the grill!
Today I’m sharing this mouth-watering recipe for Italian Sausage Burgers that everyone will LOVE! This recipe is inspired by one of my dad’s favorite dishes, Italian sausage and peppers. These burgers have all the tasty flavors of sausage and peppers but in burger form!
These Loaded Italian Sausage Burgers are extremely easy to make, and all you need are just a few ingredients and about 20 minutes!
Using Italian ground sausage to make burgers is a fun twist on the original hamburger, and a great shortcut recipe as the sausage is already seasoned!
The hot Italian sausage combined with the sweet sausage and then topped with peppers and cheese makes the perfect burgers for any occasion.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $4.26
Recipe Cost: $17.03
- 1 pound ground hot Italian Sausage – $3.55
- 1 pound ground sweet or mild Italian Sausage – $3.99
- 4 slices Provolone cheese – $0.76
- 4 roasted red bell peppers – $5.52
- ½ cup pepper rings – $0.55
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves – $0.50
- 4 Kaiser rolls – $2.16
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Italian Sausage Burgers
- First, preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Next, using a large bowl, combine the ground hot and sweet Italian sausages.
- Then, form the meat into four balls and lightly press each into a 5-inch wide patty 1 ¼ inch thick. Slightly indent the middle of each burger with your knuckle.
- Set the patties on the grill for 5-6 minutes, and then flip to grill the patties on the other side for another 4-6 minutes. Remove from the grill and place a piece of Provolone cheese on top of each burger.
- Finally, set the burgers on the toasted Kaiser rolls and top with roasted bell peppers, pepper rings, and basil leaves.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- If you don’t like spicy food, feel free to use mild Italian sausage instead of the hot.
- Instead of Provolone cheese, you can use sliced Mozzarella cheese.
SERVE: For the best results, serve these burgers right away while still warm off the grill. You can keep these at room temperature for no more than two hours before they need to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for three days.
FREEZE: Once cooled, place the cooked patties in a freezer-safe container or zipper-top plastic bag for 1-2 months.
DEFROST: Defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
REHEAT: Reheat in the microwave until heated through.
- Grilling tools
- Mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Baking sheet
It is recommended that sausage be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees to be safe for consumption. This should take around 10-12 minutes over medium-high heat on a gas grill. However, each grill is slightly different, so you should always double-check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer.
Italian Sausage is a type of pork. It comes seasoned, which makes it different from plain sausage, so it is an excellent option for adding to pasta and other dishes.
Be sure to pack the patties tightly when forming them. If you feel that they are still falling apart before putting them on the grill, place them in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to help solidify the patties before grilling them.
More Grilling Recipes
- Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Gas Grill Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Steak Kabobs
- How to Grill Strip Steak on a Gas Grill
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Grilled Pineapple
Italian Sausage Burgers
- 1 lbs ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 lbs ground sweet or mild Italian sausage
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 4 roasted red bell peppers from a jar
- ½ cup pepper rings
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 Kaiser rolls sliced in half and toasted
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (about 450 degrees F).
MIX AND FORM PATTIES:
- While the grill preheats, add the ground hot and sweet Italian sausage in a large bowl. Roll up your sleeves and use your hands to combine.
- Form the meat into four balls and lightly press each into 5-inch-wide, 1 ¼ –inch-thick patties.
- In the middle of each burger, use your knuckle or thumb to make a 2-inch indentation (this will keep the burgers from puffing when grilled).
GRILL SAUSAGE BURGERS:
- Place the patties on the preheated grill. Leave them undisturbed until grill marks form on the bottom, about 5-6 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and grill until the burgers feel firm and the other side is marked for about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove the burgers from the grill and top each with a slice of Provolone cheese.
- Move the burgers to the toasted Kaiser rolls and top with roasted bell peppers, pepper rings, and basil leaves.
- Serve and enjoy.