The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Texas BBQ Sauce will pair perfectly with any grilled or smoked meat. It’s my go-to sauce for cookouts, and it will keep in the fridge for two weeks!
This recipe costs about $3.05 to make. So that’s approximately $0.15 per serving.
Serve this sauce with your favorite grilled or smoked recipes. Some of mine include this Smoked Chicken Drumsticks, Smoked Ribs, Grilled BBQ Chicken, and Smoked Beef Bibs (Pictured in this recipe, and the recipe is coming soon!)
This Texas Style BBQ Sauce is the perfect combo of sweet and spicy. It has a little bit of tang from the apple cider vinegar, and with the addition of Worcestershire Sauce, it balances out the sweetness from the ketchup and the brown sugar.
The warm spices, tangy and sweet flavors with a slight amount of heat come together to make a finger-licking-good sauce.
We all know that when BBQ is done right, you should not need to drench it in any sauce, but that is why this sauce is the BEST! It is thinner than a traditional BBQ sauce, so it lets the meat be the star of the show while complimenting the flavor and not overtaking it.
Use it for pulled pork sandwiches, slathering on your hamburgers, or brushing your Grilled BBQ Chicken!
However you use it, you cannot go wrong by making this Texas BBQ Sauce recipe and keeping it in your fridge to use anytime you need it.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.15
Recipe Cost: $3.05
- 2 ½ cups ketchup – $1.32
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar – $0.45
- ½ cup red wine vinegar – $0.52
- ⅓ cup water – $0.00
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar – $0.15
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce – $0.20
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder – $0.24
- 1 Tablespoon cumin – $0.10
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder – $0.06
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Texas BBQ Sauce
- First, using a small saucepan, add all of the ingredients and whisk them together.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat.
- Then, reduce the heat to simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Next, remove the sauce from the heat to cool.
- Finally, pour the sauce into an airtight container before serving.
- Instead of light brown sugar you can use dark brown sugar.
- This recipe doubles nicely. You will need to use a bigger pot and increase the simmering time to 20-30 minutes.
SERVE: You can serve the sauce right away, but the best flavors develop after storing the sauce for 24 hours.
STORE: Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
FREEZE: Once cooled, place the sauce in a freezer-safe zipper top bag or storage container. Freeze for 3-4 months.
THAW: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or for 4-5 hours at room temperature. Whisk the sauce for 30 seconds before serving.
Texas BBQ sauce is known for its rich flavor and slightly thinner consistency. In addition, it has a little tangy and sweet taste that is achieved by cooking a few essential ingredients together on the stovetop.
Yes, apple cider vinegar is one of the main ingredients in this sauce. The recipe also calls for ketchup, Worcestershire Sauce, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, and various spices.
More Grilling Recipes
- Salsa Verde
- Whipped Butter
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce
- Turkey Gravy
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Chipotle Pico De Gallo
Texas BBQ Sauce
- 2 ½ cups ketchup
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a small saucepan until combined.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and cool.
- Transfer the BBQ sauce to an airtight container.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
I tried a fair few BBQ sauce recipes over the years. And this is by far the best one – not too sharp, not too sweet, but full of flavour, and perfectly balanced! Thanks so much for the recipe!
This sauce was so easy to make! We served it over veggie burgers tonight and it was delicious!
What a BBQ sauce! Delicious, and so much better than the one bought from the store, thank you!
Jacqueline Meldrum says
Just what we need as we’ve started to get the BBQ out again.
Amanda Wren-Grimwood says
This is a great sauce to use what you already have in the cupboard and perfect all year round with grilled meats.