These Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are an easy recipe that is made without firing up the grill. These baked drumsticks are family favorites at my house!
This recipe costs about $9.08 to make six servings. This is just $1.51 per serving!
Grilling chicken is the BEST. I absolutely LOVE to grill all types of food and not just in the summertime. However, sometimes it just isn’t practical. Like when it is snowing in Utah in May. Ugh!
Don’t worry; today, I am sharing a recipe for BBQ Chicken drumsticks that you bake in the oven. That’s right; you can make crispy, flavorful chicken that tastes like it came straight off the grill but really came straight out of the oven!
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
This chicken is AH-mazing! It has the perfect amount of sticky, charred, juicy flavors in every single bite.
You will be licking your fingers during this meal for sure. With this recipe, each drumstick is covered in a rub while the chicken bakes and then BBQ sauce while it is broiled.
These Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are so easy to make that you can enjoy them as a simple weeknight meal or even serve them to a crowd. Either way, they are sure to be a hit!
How long should drumsticks be cooked in the oven?
The time will vary based on different variables such as the elevation as foods tend to cook a little differently in different elevations. However, roughly speaking, it takes around 40-45 minutes for drumsticks to bake in the oven. You want the meat to reach 165 degrees to ensure it is done cooking.
Can you overcook chicken drumsticks?
You can overcook chicken drumsticks. There is nothing worse in my mind than dry chicken!
It is hard to chew and has no flavor. Overcooking chicken is a common mistake because we get nervous about salmonella and want to make sure we cook the chicken all the way through.
You can, however, cook your chicken all the way through without overcooking it. Use an instant-read thermometer to make sure your chicken has reached 165 degrees F.
The layers of BBQ sauce on the drumsticks in this recipe will help keep the meat juicy, and broiling it helps keep the chicken’s moisture.
How do you know when chicken drumsticks are done?
The quickest way to check if your chicken drumsticks are cooked is to check the internal temperature. It should be at 165 degrees F. If you do not have a thermometer, another way to check to see if it is done is to look for clear juices coming from the chicken.
How to make BBQ Chicken Drumsticks in the Oven:
- First, prep the chicken by making the brine and letting it sit in the refrigerator for 15 min to 1 hour.
- Next, preheat the oven to 425 degrees while making the rub for the chicken.
- Then, dry the chicken with a paper towel and cover it with the rub. Place chicken on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes and then turn and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Then broil the chicken for 5-10 minutes, turning over halfway through.
- Finally, brush the chicken with ⅓ of the sauce and continue to broil until slightly charred. Flip and brush with more sauce and finish broiling. After removing chicken from the oven, brush with the remaining sauce and serve.
***Check out the recipe video in the recipe card below!
How much will this Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks?
RECIPE COST: $9.08
COST PER SERVING: $1.51
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 4 cups water – $0.00
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon salt – $0.03
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch – $0.06
- 1 tablespoon paprika – $0.10
- 1 tablespoon chili powder – $0.08
- 4 pounds chicken drumsticks – $7.84
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar – $0.03
- ½ teaspoon pepper – $0.04
- 1 ¼ cup BBQ sauce – $0.90
How Long are They Good For:
SERVE: You can keep the drumsticks at room temperature for about 2 hours before they will need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days. To reheat, place the chicken on a lightly baking dish and heat in a 325 degree F oven for 10-20 minutes or until heated through.
FREEZE: You can freeze these drumsticks; just don’t put the final slathering of BBQ sauce on them. Store them in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 2 months.
What Side Dishes to Serve with Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks:
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- Creamy Homemade Coleslaw
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Food Truck Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Healthy Mashed Cauliflower
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Panera’s Mac and Cheese
- Simple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 4 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 pounds chicken drumsticks trimmed
CHICKEN AND RUB:
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ¼ cup BBQ sauce I used Sweet Baby Ray's
- In a large bowl, combine water, salt, and corn starch. Add chicken, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 15 minutes, but no longer than an hour.
PREP BAKING SHEET & OVEN:
- Set wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and coat with vegetable oil spray.
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 425 ° F.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and place the chicken on a clean cutting board. Quickly dry chicken with pieces of paper towel.
- Cover the chicken pieces with the rub and transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Use tongs to turn the chicken over and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 ° F.
- Adjust oven rack 6 inches from broiler and heat broiler. Broil chicken until lightly charred, about 5-10 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through broiling.
- Brush chicken with one-third of sauce and continue to broil until lightly charred, about 5 minutes, flipping and brushing chicken with more sauce halfway through broiling. Brush chicken with remaining sauce. Serve.
These Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are an easy recipe that is made without firing up the grill. They’re delicious and cost just $1.51 per serving to make.