Disclosure: This recipe for Taco Salad Mini Bites – a healthy hot sauce recipe is part of a #SauceOn shop and has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions and recipes are mine alone. #CollectiveBias
I love game day eats just as much as the next person, but they’re not always the healthiest choice. Let’s face it, healthier options are sometimes a little…bland. I like to spice things up with big, bold flavors by using fresh ingredients and my secret weapon, El Yucateco hot sauce. Today I’m sharing with you my new, healthy favorite game day recipe: Taco Salad Mini Bites!
Now don’t those look so good!? These tasted just like the larger taco salads at your favorite restaurant but healthier. These taco shells are made from corn tortillas, not flour plus they’re baked, not fried. To make sure these mini bites really pop, I used El Yucateco hot sauce. I found them at Walmart on the Hispanic Food aisle and they come in 4 different spicy varieties:
- Red Habanero Sauce
- Green Habanero Sauce
- XXXtra Hot Kutbil-ik Sauce
- Black Label Reserve, a new flavor that is EXCLUSIVE to Walmart!
When thinking about game day eats, it’s important to make something portable and easy to eat. Also it must be easy to make, because no one wants to be stuck in the kitchen missing all the game day action!
Cook’s Note for Taco Salad Mini Bites:
- Warning: this recipe is spicy!
- These are super customizable, just fill them with your favorite toppings.
- If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, substitute the meat for re-fried beans. When heating up the beans, add a Tablespoon of El Yucateco hot sauce to add big, bold flavors.
- I used thick corn tortillas for my mini taco shells. If you use regular, thinner ones, chances are you won’t have to use the pie weights like I did to keep the tortillas from popping out of the pan.
- Serves: 24 mini bites
- Serving size: 4 bites
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- ½ Pound lean ground beef
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- ¾ Cup water
- 2 Tablespoons El Yucateco Black Label Reserve hot sauce, found exclusively at Walmart
- ½ Cup Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 24 cilantro leaves
- ¼ Cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 2 Tablespoons diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons diced avocado
- 24 black olive slices
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut 3 rounds out of each tortilla for a total of 24 rounds. Discard scraps. Place a tortilla round into the well of a mini muffin pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tortilla shells are light golden brown on the edges. Place pan on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and drain. Add the taco seasoning, water, and El Yucateco hot sauce. Bring the mixture up to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
- Fill the tortilla shells with the ground beef mixture & top with lettuce, cilantro leaves, shredded cheese, tomatoes, avocados, black olives, and sour cream. Serve immediately.
Looking for another awesome Game Day Eat? Then check out one of my most popular posts: Chicken & Waffle Sliders
I’m linking up this recipe for Taco Salad Mini Bites at:
Skip to My Lou, Show & Tell, Lil’ Luna, Somewhat Simple, Tidy Mom, The Best Blog Recipes, WhipperBerry, Tatertots and Jell-O, Lolly Jane, I Heart Naptime,The 36th Avenue, Today’s Creative Blog, Six Sister’s Stuff, 30 Handmade Days, The Idea Room, Craft-o-maniac, Classy Clutter, The Cards We Drew, Blooming Homestead, The Crafted Sparrow, Giggles Galore, C.R.A.F.T, Uncommon Designs, Sugar Bee Crafts