This homemade Taco Mix recipe is an economical version of the pantry staple. It’s so easy to make and tastes better than store-bought mixes.
I recently ran out of this taco mix and needed to make a new batch. I find myself using this for more than just tacos.
More Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe Ideas:
- Fajita seasoning, see my recipe for Stovetop Chicken Fajitas here
- Dry rub & marinade for meat
- Seasoning for homemade salsas
- Seasoning for sauteed fresh veggies–I love to add this seasoning to my zucchini and summer squash with a little shredded cheese
- Mexican corn on the cob–butter the corn and sprinkle with a light dusting of this seasoning
The possibilities are endless with this mix It’s quick, easy, and cheap to throw together.
What is in Taco Mix?
There are 8 spices and seasonings that make up homemade taco mix. They are:
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- dried oregano
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- table salt
- cayenne pepper
How to use Taco Seasoning Mix:
- First, Brown 1 poind of ground beef in large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain off the fat.
- Next, stir in the seasoning mix along with 3/4 cup of water.
- Then, bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, spoon tha taco meat into warm tortillas or hard taco shells. Serve the tacos with your favorite toppings.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or flakes
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
- In a small bowl whisk all of the ingredients until combined.
- Transfer the taco mix to an airtight jar.