Easy Taco Salad Cups are the perfect bite of tacos and salad for a healthier appetizer for game day, parties, and holidays.
Now, don’t those look so good!? These tasted just like the larger taco salads at your favorite restaurant but healthier. These taco shells are made from corn tortillas, not flour, plus they’re baked, not fried.
When thinking about game day eats, making something portable and easy to eat is important. Also, it must be easy to make because no one wants to be stuck in the kitchen missing all the game-day action!
- Warning: this recipe is spicy!
- These are super customizable. Just fill them with your favorite toppings.
- If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, substitute the meat for re-fried beans. When heating up the beans, add a Tablespoon of El Yucateco hot sauce to add big, bold flavors.
- I used thick corn tortillas for my mini taco shells. If you use regular, thinner ones, chances are you won’t have to use the pie weights like I did to keep the tortillas from popping out of the pan.
Taco Salad Mini Bites
- 8 6- inch corn tortillas
- ½ Pound lean ground beef
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- ¾ Cup water
- 2 Tablespoons El Yucateco Black Label Reserve hot sauce found exclusively at Walmart
- ½ Cup Romaine lettuce chopped
- 24 cilantro leaves
- ¼ Cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 2 Tablespoons diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons diced avocado
- 24 black olive slices
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
To make the tortilla shells:
- Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut 3 rounds out of each tortilla for a total of 24 rounds. Discard scraps. Place a tortilla round into the well of a mini muffin pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tortilla shells are light golden brown on the edges. Place pan on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes.
For the taco meat:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and drain. Add the taco seasoning, water, and El Yucateco hot sauce. Bring the mixture up to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
- Fill the tortilla shells with the ground beef mixture & top with lettuce, cilantro leaves, shredded cheese, tomatoes, avocados, black olives, and sour cream. Serve immediately.
Looking for another awesome Game Day Eat? Then check out one of my most popular posts: Chicken & Waffle Sliders