This Classic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad recipe has a delicious creamy dressing that’s tangy, sweet, and totally addicting! It’s great for summer cookouts or anytime!
This past April my family and I were on the island of Oahu for Spring Break. While there we soaked up as much of the Hawaiian culture and food as we could. Almost daily I would have Hawaiian Macaroni Salad with my lunch or dinner (or heck, sometimes both) because it was so creamy, so delicious, and SO addicting!
When I got back from our trip to Hawaii I got started right away on my version of the classic Macaroni Salad. I’ve been testing the recipe for a few months now and I think I nailed it!
Common Macaroni Salad Questions Answered:
What are the ingredients of Macaroni Salad?
- Duke’s mayonnaise
- grated yellow onion
- brown sugar
- salt pepper
- elbow macaroni
- apple cider vinegar
- green onions
- shredded carrots
Do you put eggs in Macaroni Salad?
No. Well, yes…sometimes. Let me explain.
Traditional Macaroni Salad does not have eggs or hard-boiled eggs in it. However, while in Hawaii I noticed on some menus that there is a side dish called Potato Mac Salad which is a mash-up of potato salad and macaroni salad that DOES have egg in it (recipe coming soon!).
What is good to eat with Macaroni Salad?
Basically any kind of backyard barbecue food, but here are some of my favorites:
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken with Pineapple Barbecue Sauce
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Smoked Ribs
- Chicken Teriyaki
Cook’s Note – Hawaiian Macaroni Salad:
- If you use anything but half-and-half and mayonnaise, then the dressing for this macaroni salad will be too thin.
- This is a great recipe to make ahead of time as it will keep, covered in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days. Just make sure you give everything a good stir before serving.
- If you want to make this pasta salad into more of a main dish then I suggest adding 2 cups of chopped chicken or 2 cups of diced ham in step 4 below.
Cook’s Tools – Macaroni Salad:
ONE YEAR AGO: Slow Cooker Baked Ziti
TWO YEARS AGO: Garden Veggie Guacamole
THREE YEARS AGO: Classic Guacamole
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups mayonnaise Duke’s if you can find it
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons grated yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 green onions white and green parts sliced thin
- 2 large celery ribs chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup grated carrots
- In a medium bowl whisk together the half-and-half, mayonnaise, grated onion, dark brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of pepper until smooth. Refrigerate until needed.
- Cook the macaroni as per the package instructions, except add 5 minutes to the cooking time on the package instructions (you want the macaroni to be very soft and plump so it absorbs the dressing better). Drain the macaroni into a colander and then dump it back into the pot. Add in the apple cider vinegar and stir until the pasta absorbs the vinegar. Cover the pot with a lid and cool for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Add half of the dressing and stir to combine. Then, cover the lid and cool for another 20 minutes.
- Add in the remaining dressing, green onions, celery, and carrots to the pot and stir to combine, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Cool completely to room temperature, about 30 more minutes.
- Transfer the macaroni salad to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.