Disclosure: This post for Chicken Chow Mein + Handpick Smart Groceries has been compensated by Handpick Smart Groceries. As always, all opinions are mine alone.
I am all about making life easier lately, especially with the start of school. My oldest just started Kindergarten and our new schedule is kicking my butt! Between school, homework, dance class, music classes, speech therapy, trips to the grocery store, and keeping my house clean, I am constantly looking for ways to lighten my load. And that’s where Handpick Smart Groceries meal kit service and this awesome Chicken Chow Mein recipe comes in!
Recently, I had the opportunity to try out Handpick Smart Groceries. It’s a meal kit delivery service that’s similar to services like Blue Apron and HelloFresh except for 3 major differences:
- PRICE. Meals start at just $6 a meal instead of $10 a meal.
- NO SUBSCRIPTION. You don’t need to commit to a subscription with Handpick Smart Groceries.
- ITEMS COME FROM AN ACTUAL GROCERY STORE. The ingredients in Handpick Smart Groceries are shipped directly from a grocery store instead of a warehouse.
These are just a few Handpick Smart Groceries bundle meal kits to choose from:
- Flavors of Asia
- Meat Lover
- Garden Harvest
- Thai Spice
- Tex-Mex Fiesta
Each meal kit includes 10 or more ingredients and 3 separate main dish recipe cards that are designed to use up all of the ingredients. That’s right, 3 nights of meals all in 1 box that’s delivered right to your door! I am loving the time saved from meal planning and picking up the groceries myself at the store.
The box I tried recently was Handpick Smart Groceries’ Flavors of Asia meal kit bundle.
Here’s what was included:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs
- 4 ounce chicken breast
- 2 bunches of bok choy
- 2 bunches of green onions
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- Large knob of ginger
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 packages of Asian egg noodles
- Soy sauce
- 1 bottle of sesame oil
- 1 bottle of oyster sauce
This Flavors of Asia bundle included all of the ingredients to make:
- Asian Lettuce Cups
- Garlic Ginger Chicken and Sesame Noodles
- Chicken Chow Mein
Each of these meals made from the Asian bundle was not only super easy to prepare, but SO delicious! Our favorite was the Chicken Chow Mein. It had a little something for everyone. The kids loved the noodles and the meal as a whole was tasty and filling. With the recent heat in California, I’m next looking forward to fixing some light meals out of the Vegetarian bundle.
Chicken Chow Mein + Handpick Smart Groceries
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sesame oil divided
- 2 teaspoons ginger peeled and chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 oz chicken breast cut into pieces
- 8 oz package Asian egg noodles
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup bok choy sliced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Garnishes optional:
- sliced green onions
- sesame seeds
- FOR THE MARINADE: Combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 teaspoons chopped ginger, salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped chicken to the marinade and set aside for 20 minutes. While chicken marinates, prepare noodles according to package instructions.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add oil and 4 cloves minced garlic to the skillet; saute for 2 minutes. Toss in marinated chicken. Turn the chicken with wooden spoon to cook the remaining sides.
- When the chicken is partially cooked (about 5 minutes), add a 1/2 cup sliced bok choy and combine. Stir the chicken and noodles every 30 seconds to prevent sticking and ensure even cooking. Stir for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the noodles to the skillet, and season with 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 3 tablespoons water, salt, and pepper.
- Cook noodles with chicken for about 2 minutes and sprinkle with sliced green onions before serving. Top with garnishes of your choice, such as sesame seeds or black pepper.
This meal delivery service is available to California residents.