This Classic Chicken Parmesan Recipe will quickly become a family favorite. It has a crispy Parmesan crust and just the right amount of sauce and mozzarella cheese.
It costs $9.18 to make four servings of this Chicken Parmesan. That works out to be about $2.30 per serving.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan is a classic Italian-American recipe made famous in American restaurants. The good news is you can make it at home with that same great restaurant-quality taste without the cost of eating out.
The breaded chicken breast is fried until golden brown creating a parmesan crust that seals in the juicy flavor of the chicken without making the chicken soggy. It’s then covered in marinara and mozzarella cheese and baked.
This hearty dish is my go-to when I need a hearty meal in less than an hour. If you are a seasoned cook or this is your first time in the kitchen, this is an easy recipe full of flavor that the whole family will enjoy.
This Chicken Parm recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners or a weekend family gathering. But you can enjoy it year-round and for special occasions like New Year’s or Valentine’s Day.
I bet you will feel the same after making this Classic Chicken Parmesan recipe. It is a classic dish that never goes out of style.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $2.30
Recipe Cost: $9.18
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts – $1.99
- 1 cup all-purpose flour – $0.19
- 2 large eggs – $0.20
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs – $0.89
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs – $0.25
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese – $0.99
- 1 cup olive oil – $2.24
- 24-ounce jar marinara sauce – $1.28
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese – $1.15
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Classic Chicken Parmesan
- First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Then season the boneless chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Next, place flour in one shallow bowl, beaten eggs to the next shallow dish, and the Italian breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese to the last shallow dish.
- Use a meat mallet to pound out the chicken to have an even thickness of ½ inch think if needed.
- Dip chicken into the flour, then the eggs, and then the bread crumb mixture.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet and brown the chicken for about five minutes per side in the hot oil.
- Next, pour the marinara sauce into a 13×9-inch baking dish. Set the chicken over the sauce in a single layer and then pour the remaining sauce over the chicken.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, garnish with basil or parsley, and serve with cooked spaghetti noodles.
- You can make this dish a little lighter by serving the Classic Chicken Parmesan recipe over spaghetti squash, cauliflower rice, or zucchini noodles.
- If you don’t have seasoned Italian breadcrumbs, then use regular breadcrumbs and mix them with ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Sometimes I used slices of fresh mozzarella on top of the chicken cutlets instead of shredded mozzarella.
- Use a high-quality, flavorful marinara sauce in this recipe. My favorite store-bought marinara sauces are Rao’s (my all-time favorite), Victoria, and Barilla.
- This recipe can be doubled. You’ll have to fry the chicken in batches and bake it in two pans.
- You can make this chicken Parmesan recipe without bread crumbs by using almond flour instead of bread crumbs.
Storage and Reheating Tips
SERVE: Serve the baked chicken parmesan immediately with a little bit of fresh basil or parsley and cooked spaghetti noodles. You can keep the dish out for two hours before it needs to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: You can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about three days. Please note that as it sits, it looses it crispiness and gets soggy.
FREEZE: You can freeze the chicken cutlets by placing them on a pan and freezing until frozen solid, about 1-2 hours. Once frozen, transfer the chicken to a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag. Freeze for up to two months.
THAW: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
REHEAT: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and heat for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
You can make an entire meal from this dish by serving it with a simple Italian Salad, Panzanella Salad, Caesar Salad, Mashed Potatoes, Healthy Mashed Cauliflower, Oven Roasted Broccoli, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Garlic Knots, or this easy Garlic Bread.
Yes, you can. Place the chicken on a pan and freeze until frozen, about 1-2 hours. Once frozen, transfer the chicken to a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag. Freeze for up to two months.
Place the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and heat for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Check the chicken after 10 minutes. If it’s dark golden brown, cover it with foil and continue heating.
More Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Cornish Hens
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
- Gas Grill Chicken Breasts
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Cream Sauce
- Healthier Orange Chicken
Classic Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts thawed if previously frozen
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cup olive oil for frying
- 24 oz marinara sauce homemade or store bought
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound cooked pasta of your choice optional
- Fresh basil and parsley, chopped for serving, optional
- 1 pound cooked spaghetti, optional
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
PREP AND CHICKEN:
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Using 3 separate shallow dishes, add flour to one dish, beaten eggs to another dish, and the last dish combine the panko, Italian bread crumbs and ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- If the chicken is thick, pound it to ½ inch thick.
- Dip the chicken into the flour, shake off the excess, dip it in eggs and then into the bread crumb mixture.
- Repeat with all the chicken breasts.
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Brown chicken on each side, for about 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
PREP FOR BAKING:
- Pour 1 ½ cups marinara sauce into 13×9 baking dish.
- Arrange the chicken over the sauce in a single layer.
- Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the chicken.
- Top each chicken breasts with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and garnish with fresh basil or parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately with cooked spaghetti noodles, if you like.